• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WORKING UP A LOAD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff b

32 Cal
Reaction score
I shoot at 25 yards . Is it as necesary to work up a patch size and powder charge as it is to shoot 50 yards.

If your on paper at 25 yards and shooting maybe 2 inches high, try shooting at 50 yards. If you have a good group you know you can take a shot at 50 yards. Shooting at longer distances, in my opinion, makes me a better shooter. Also try Dutch Shoultz's shooting system, it was one of the best $20 I spent in a while! Your patch size shouldn't change at greater yardage unless your burning through patches with a higher powder charge. Find your patches and they tell the story. Accuracy is the final test. Good Luck!

I shoot at 25 yards . Is it as necesary to work up a patch size and powder charge as it is to shoot 50 yards.
If we are talking about a rifle, I think, if you want the best accuracy your gun can deliver, you should be sighting in at 50 yards.

By shooting at the further distance you will notice the changes that using different powder loads, patch thicknesses and lubes will have on the repeat-ability of the trajectory of the ball much easier than you would if your were sighting in at 25 yards.

Put another way, changing a powder load, patch thickness or lube can open up or close down the size of a group of shots, 2 or more inches at 50 yards. At 25 yards, the effect will be much less visible on the target giving the impression that the change did almost nothing when, indeed, it did.

When doing your testing, IMO it is best to shoot from a bench, with your supporting elbow resting on the table. That will help to steady the gun and reduce the wobbling that can change the location of where the shot hits.

When you've found the most accurate load at 50 yards, the groups you shoot at 25 yards will be as good as it can get.

If your powder load is giving about 1600 fps velocity, if the sights are zeroed at 50 yards, your group will be hitting about 1/4" high at 25 yards.

Back