• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Working on a jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been making good progress on this rifle. It's the first jaeger I have tried. I' m using TOTW's jaeger plan and Shumway's book as guides. I don't really like set triggers or stepped wrists; fortunately the book shows a number of regional styles. I' m using a Davis lock, Colerain barrel, and a cherry stock cut from a slab a friend gave me a few years ago. I am not a great engraver/carver so it will have moderate, simple decoration.
IMG_20201201_194105.jpg
IMG_20201201_194241.jpg
IMG_20201201_195124.jpg

For a more graceful look the wrist should be longer before transitioning to the comb. Notice how long the wrist is in the pictures in your books.
Yes, absolutely! I am thinking of cutting the comb back to where it would be about even to the trigger guard rear attachment. The forearm and lock panels need work too.

For a more graceful look the wrist should be longer before transitioning to the comb. Notice how long the wrist is in the pictures in your books.
I’m a fan of long wrists as well but note that a good many early rifles are short wristed. In general Christians Spring rifles have shorter wrists than Lancaster rifles, which in turn have shorter wrists than Bucks County rifles.

When I think of the German Jaeger I think stout and stocky. Not long and graceful.

I agree w/ EC121 and RCHAS , git yer wood rasp out and lengthen the wrist. Have built .54 , .50 , .58 , and my favorite , couple a .62's. and a .69. All were killers. The big ones .62 and .69 have a reputation of either killin deer outright , or knockin' enough parts off ya can ketch up to the prey and finish the job. Been there , done that.....oldwood

There's a really unusual Jager rifle in the gun museum at Gettysburg Pa. National Battle field. Made of coarse grained light colored wood , with a cheek piece on either side. Ambidextrous marksman????????????

There's a really unusual Jager rifle in the gun museum at Gettysburg Pa. National Battle field. Made of coarse grained light colored wood , with a cheek piece on either side. Ambidextrous marksman????????????
Might have belonged to a club. Many old shooting Veriens required a shooter to use a club rifle or a rifle you kept at the club. Lockers were provided. A rifle with cheek plate on either side was very useful. The picture below is of the Schuetzen Verien at Munich. Every locker has been fitted wirh modern steel safes with combination locks.

Attachments

• Allach, Munich.JPG
    Allach, Munich.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 166
Thanks for the amazing photo's. I can just imagine myself sitting in a covered hunting stand w/ food , and a little schnapps to improve my aim , then the hog comes by........oldwood
The Hunter......Early he rises waking all the camp with noise of preparation. He goes forth the day , returning well beyond the dark ... His breath smells of strong drink , and the truth is not in him..

Back