Wool Blanket Socks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Saw that video. I don’t know of any documentation for this. But when your feet are cold your going to give it a try.
Indians stuffed grass in moccs, and are known to have done so for several thousand years. I seem to recall the Ice man, a five thousand year old frozen mummy had grass stuffed in his shoes.
Greeks and Roman’s knitted stockings.
I find it hard to believe they didn’t insulate their feet

DixieTexian

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Foot wraps have been in use since ancient times and were even in use up until the late 20th century by the Russian army, but I haven't been able to find many references of there uses in America. Doderidge I think mentions stuffing moccasins with moss or dry grass. The one reference I could find so far was from Labrador, The Country and the People, published in 1909.
"For snow-shoe moccasins, caribou hide is largely used in
Labrador, in default of moose. Instead of stockings are
worn duffel slippers, ''nips,'' which fit one inside another,
and are very serviceable. The Indian hunters wear foot
wraps — piuashigan — which need no repairs, are easily
dried, and do not wear thin at heel and toe, like nips. Al-
most any material serves for these, — blanketing, duffel,
rabbit skins, or even old towels"

Over On The Wild Side

1776 a Republic if we can keep it.
Reaction score
South Union Mills sells wool socks and I’ve seen them on Etsy.
I use foot wraps but I also don’t have documentation for their use. Furthermore there seems to be a trend that emigrants abandoned most clothing styles for American ones when they came to America. Lots of peer pressure back then.
However Fur Trade era did have some varying styles… I’d sure like to find a solid reference for their use but so far I lean toward them not being common.

Reaction score
Sportsmans Guide has lots of milsurp wool socks.
Ill stick with cotton
Cotton for any cold weather clothing is a non-starter, no insulation and if it gets wet (sweat etc.) it's even worse.

Lots of places to get good wool socks and other clothing if you look. The internet is your friend (at least some of the time and if your careful)

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've tried wrapping my feet with strips of blanketing or left-over wool. Must've done something wrong, because I couldn't get the strips to stay put. Result: more experimentation and experience necessary.

Belleville

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Documentation and instructions:

From an equipment list for soldiers "a Quebec le 28 [novembre] 1756."

"Des nipes pour les souliers"

This is how the Russians folded them.

Nepes.jpg

oreclan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was watching this YouTube video where they demonstrated that the mountain men could’ve used scraps of blanket folded on your foot and stuffed into moccasins for socks could’ve been done…Do you think this was a thing done? Here’s the video link;

Nathan Kobuck , an outstanding 18th C. researcher, did a blog on this. A square piece of wool material is folded around the heal and bottom of the foot and over the toes and inserted in your mocs.
Until recently this was the standard foot covering in the Soviet/ Russian army, not that they have a stellar reputation or are respected anymore; however they did know how to deal with the cold.

oreclan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was watching this YouTube video where they demonstrated that the mountain men could’ve used scraps of blanket folded on your foot and stuffed into moccasins for socks could’ve been done…Do you think this was a thing done? Here’s the video link;

Oh those inventive Swedes! Some of my ancestors by the way!
See ScandinavianMountain.se web site.
See I Love Muzzleloading blog interview of Nathan Kobuck, also.

Last edited:

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you come up with blanket scraps?
After finishing a sewing project, a capote for example, there are always scraps that are too small to do anything with, and too big to throw away. These are perfect if they're large enough for nippes.