• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wool Blanket Question ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are "emergency" type blankets, and not the best type of blanket for what "we" do.

Short of spending well over a hundred dollars (and much more) for a new made good quality wool blanket, you can find good quality vintage blankets for far less than new ones, and I have found it fairly easy to find very suitable blankets for reasonable cost on ebay. Many people claim that they find good wool blankets at thrift stores, but I have never seen a thrift store anywhere near here prior to about six months ago...and all they have is kids' clothes, bedding (NOT wool blankets), and tableware...

OD Green US military wool blankets are easy to come by, and not very expensive at all (though they tend to be rough and scratchy, if you're sensitive). They can be found cheaper when they're a little rough around the edges and have a few holes in them, but that's just right for bumming around the woods with, I think. I don't have any OD green ones, but I do have a gray one, which I think are maybe little nicer than the OD ones, and they don't look so "army surplus", if that's a concern.

Last edited:
I've got 2 of the gray military ones, fairly heavy weight and almost wind proof when doubled.

Great blankets at surplus prices.

I've got a couple other factory made wool blankets as well that I've picked up off the classified's over the years.

I was told the gray ones were Swedish made.....?

I’ve picked up about 8-10 decent wool blankets over the years at auctions, thrift shops, and antique stores. The most expensive was $30 and the group includes a Hudson Bay king size. Now, I wasn’t in a rush and usually haggled on the price. Only one was plain white and beside the HBC one most were white with the traditional red, yellow, blue stripes and made by Whitney, Penney’s etc.

Beware the o.d. green "surplus army" blanket that seems inexpensive. This is the construction I found recently when cutting up one I've had for years, to be used for a test for a project,
20200201_021106.jpg
More like a rug than a blanket. And, that stuff is really tough to cut with scissors.

Does anyone have any experience with the blankets sold by "Northwest Traders"?
They claim to be handwoven 100% wool in three point historic weights sizes and patterns.
At first they seem a little pricey, ... but if they meet all the pertinent details, .... ?

Does anyone have any experience with the blankets sold by "Northwest Traders"?
They claim to be handwoven 100% wool in three point historic weights sizes and patterns.
At first they seem a little pricey, ... but if they meet all the pertinent details, .... ?

I got a capote from Northwest almost two years ago. I got the Empointer in Grey with red, green, black stripe.
FINE coat, warm, and solid built.

It does take a while, especially since he didnt have the blanket I wanted so I waited for his weaver to make one (then he called, had trouble with the green dye) but in about 7 or 8 months I had a Fine Capote.....I guess it would be quicker if I chose from available blankets, and not ordered during his prime 'Show Season'

Short answer; yes "pricy", yes "Top quality" - and very nice people to work with.
But like anything worth having, you must have patience, or do it yourself

.....now back to my trouser project that I am doing myself (these instructions need some CLARITY!)

Northwest Traders: forgot to mention, they do come with 'raw edges'.
For mine I picked up some wool yarn and just whipped a blanket stitch around the edges. Only so it will last longer.

I am wearing mine right now in 28 degrees, smoking my pipe and watching the snow fall. I'm just as cozy as a tick on a bear's belly!

My wife bought me a couple of blankets from India, 90% wool, 10% synthetic. It is tough and greasy. I’m making a sleeved waist coat from one, it is a woven blanket and not on a nylon net. Dark blue grey in color it’s so tight it’s hard to get a needle through. It was on Amazon and about $25. Four pounds in an 84x60 size.

Latest posts

Back