Wool blanket circa 1750

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by brazosland, Aug 8, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 8, 2019 #1

brazosland

brazosland

brazosland

36 Cl.

That you would wrap around yourself into a sort of caped overcoat, belted at the waist and pined at the top.

What is it called?

2. Aug 8, 2019 #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Match coat.

3. Aug 8, 2019 #3

brazosland

brazosland

brazosland

36 Cl.

That's it! Thank you!

Any recommended online vendors?

4. Aug 8, 2019 #4

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Many blankets at the time were white, ivory or off white. Colored blankets were known but rarer then white.
    Match coats often seem to big large squares instead of the blanket shape.
    For some reason white off white wool is more expensive then colored.
    Townsend offers a white blanket on line four pound size in the $150.00 range.
    Heavy wool blanketing comes in 60” width at about $35 a yard, two or two and a half yards you can stitch a hem at each end and have a good coat, but it will be in colors.
    Old OD green blankets work and can be quickly dyed a brown or dark green or dark blue.
    Northwest traders offers a hand woven blankets in 6 pound weights but are in later stripe patterns, in the $350.00 range.
    I think Joann fabrics on line has a heavy wool blanket weight cloth in white.
    Regularly I use a great coat, but my experiments with a match coat I find the oblong blanket more handy, only thing I would point out is I like an ankle length coat, but coats were knee length then, so maybe a square that would be shorter was more in style. Indian paintings seem to show a regular shaped blanket on their backs.

5. Aug 8, 2019 #5

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I would opt for color, I made a reservation style boxxy capote from a four stripe HB blanket. Wore it on a five day trek in the buffalo river wilderness in Arkansas one winter. It didn’t stay white for long, I dyed it when I got home.

6. Aug 9, 2019 #6

Ames

Ames

Ames

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
    Unfortunately, I cant wear one unless its blaze orange.:(

7. Aug 9, 2019 #7

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

You can get that, or get wool and sew a liner into it, two thin layers is better then one thick

8. Aug 9, 2019 #8

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

One of the projects that has been languishing on my "to do," list for far too long is to sew a large rectangle of hunter orange fabric to one side of a wool blanket. If rolled up and slung in my hopus strap, I could leave either side visible, plain to look p.c. or orange to make the wardens happy. Sit to wait for game, I can wrap up with the orange showing, or make a match coat.
    I wish I could find some hunter orange and black check pattern, or plaid, or houndstooth pattern, fabric.

As an o.t. aside. I'd really like to make 2 of these. The second one I would see 3M reflective cloth over the edges of the orange, and maybe across the middle, for use as an emergency blanket kept in the truck.

tenngun likes this.
  9. Aug 9, 2019 #9

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 cal - b

Fifteen minute walk from Independence Hall.
    Oddly, you're not alone.

"You know you're in the SCA when...you've ever wondered 'can I find a green and orange plaid in a suitable fabric weight?'" ~ http://ykyitscaw.com/

tenngun likes this.
  10. Aug 10, 2019 #10

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

For a matchcoat you could use a white blanket with navy stripes or Stroud cloth/trade cloth. Both the English & French were having it produced for the deerskin/eastern fur trade......the trade cloth left two yards long x 60"s wide is matchcoat size. Red & blue with a single or double list(resist stripe) were produced by both English & French......red with a black selvage is unique to the French. IMG_20190506_192123483.jpg

11. Aug 11, 2019 #11

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

50 Cal.

Nice looking woolens, there. Where did you find them?

12. Aug 11, 2019 #12

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

Toklo Etee

32 Cal

Cruzatte,
    Thanks! That cloth is what I dyed this past spring......I've been making Stroud cloth for the last few years. My business partner & I are also consumers and noticed that you couldn't find early Stroud with the inset list(undyed white stripe) I talked alot with Ken Hamilton and he sent me a stack of documents concerning extant trade cloth and period quotes. From that research and my background in product design, you see the fruits of my labor! We sold over half of it at Martin's Station in the spring. Those are all matchcoats.... 2 yards long.......it is soft and makes great leggings( pictured are my beater leggings) breechcloths, & women's wrap skirts.
    Thanks for your interest
    David

Attached Files: