• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woodsrunner: thinking ahead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Kibler Woodsrunner on order. No telling when it might get here, but I'm thinking ahead about it.

I ordered a cherry stock. I've read somewhere, perhaps here, that cherry stocks were most often made in the northeastern states, which I take to mean from New York and northward. These stocks apparently had little or no carving. Of course I might like at least a bit of carving.

What to do? Should I treat the cherry stock as a northeastern item and leave it plain, or like a Pennsylvania rifle and put a little carving on it? I seem to drag my projects out forever, therefore I'm thinking leaving it plain and just assembling the kit I'd get done faster than if I took the time to carve, but a little simple incised carving might not take to long.

What are your thoughts?

Pa. is loaded with cherry trees. I'm sure there were cherry longrifles made all over Pa. , east , central and west. Cherry is wonderful to work ,and I still have some precarved stocks , that came from trees I cut back in the 1970's. Make any kind of Pa.style gun you wish from it,

The Kibler Woodsrunner reminds me a lot of my 50cal Hubbard hunting rifle acquired about 20 years ago. It’s small framed with a swamped 38” barrel that weighs about 7 pounds… and a joy to hunt with. Hubbard chose to have minimal carving with only a small raised/carved oval behind the tang, and straight incised line running down each side of the lower buttstock from the grip to the butt plate.
Simple elegance!
735E1B66-D375-48C8-B2A0-AF8987BA5F70.jpeg
C435DD64-DF45-4852-8C4F-7310578C0C3C.jpeg

Last edited:
This is from Kibler's website. "The kit does not come carved--the photo with the carving is a custom rifle Jim made years ago that was based on the "Woodsrunner" rifle
I talked to Loire at the open house, and she said because of the precision of the new CNC machine they might offer carving in the future on the Woods runner.

I have a Kibler Woodsrunner on order. No telling when it might get here, but I'm thinking ahead about it.

I ordered a cherry stock. I've read somewhere, perhaps here, that cherry stocks were most often made in the northeastern states, which I take to mean from New York and northward. These stocks apparently had little or no carving. Of course I might like at least a bit of carving.

What to do? Should I treat the cherry stock as a northeastern item and leave it plain, or like a Pennsylvania rifle and put a little carving on it? I seem to drag my projects out forever, therefore I'm thinking leaving it plain and just assembling the kit I'd get done faster than if I took the time to carve, but a little simple incised carving might not take to long.

What are your thoughts?
They were being manufactured as of the Kibler open house over two weeks ago, so hopefully it won't be a long wait.
I would go with some subtle carving.

I'm on the Woodsrunner pre-order list. They were supposed to be done first. So far all I've had is a call asking me if I still wanted the rifle. I was told 4mos.(estimated) and that was May 31. I'm not in a hurry so that is fine

I'm on the Woodsrunner pre-order list. They were supposed to be done first. So far all I've had is a call asking me if I still wanted the rifle. I was told 4mos.(estimated) and that was May 31. I'm not in a hurry so that is fine

Hah! That probably puts me into new years territory. 🤣

Back