• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woodsrunner Sling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siringo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m thinking about putting sling swivels on the Woodsrunner. Any that have built these done that?

I havnt done it on a Woodsrunner, But I did it on my Pedersoli Indian Trade gun. I got the sling swivels from TOW. One mounts in the stock, just aft of the trigger gaurd. The other mounts up on the bbl, by the second RR Pipe. For the upper one you will have to silver solder a lug on the bottom of the BBL, drill it for the sling screw, and inlet it into the stock. Not a hard job to do.

Dave

Attachments

• 20221208_183743.jpg
    20221208_183743.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221208_183735.jpg
    20221208_183735.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Note that when the slung firearm is placed muzzle up, the sling swivel falls on the ramrod's thimble. The sling swivel should go through a lug permanently attached to the barrel as described above.

I havnt done it on a Woodsrunner, But I did it on my Pedersoli Indian Trade gun. I got the sling swivels from TOW. One mounts in the stock, just aft of the trigger gaurd. The other mounts up on the bbl, by the second RR Pipe. For the upper one you will have to silver solder a lug on the bottom of the BBL, drill it for the sling screw, and inlet it into the stock. Not a hard job to do.

Dave
The forearm is quite thin on my woodsrunner. I understand that a lug soldered on the barrel bottom is a must. I have about 1/4 inch of depth from the bottom of the ramrod channel to the barrel bottom to work with.

Note that when the slung firearm is placed muzzle up, the sling swivel falls on the ramrod's thimble. The sling swivel should go through a lug permanently attached to the barrel as described above.
I’m not sure why this has never occurred to me. I want slings for my guns due to the amount of hiking I do, but I never ‘pulled the trigger’, because I didn’t want to drill through the barrel channel. Thank you for this

You dont drill through the BBL channel per se. The metal lug is silver soldered on to the underside of the BBl. Then drill a whole in it for the sling swivel. Drill it in the lower half of the lug. Then you have to inlet the lug into the stock, in the stocks BBL channel. Use lipstick to on the bottom of the lug to show where to inlet the lug at. Then you have to figure out where to drill the hole thru the stock for the swivel screw. The swivel screw hole will be below the BBL channel.
Its not as hard as it sounds. I have done 3 of them now.

Dave

You dont drill through the BBL channel per se. The metal lug is silver soldered on to the underside of the BBl. Then drill a whole in it for the sling swivel. Drill it in the lower half of the lug. Then you have to inlet the lug into the stock, in the stocks BBL channel. Use lipstick to on the bottom of the lug to show where to inlet the lug at. Then you have to figure out where to drill the hole thru the stock for the swivel screw. The swivel screw hole will be below the BBL channel.
Its not as hard as it sounds. I have done 3 of them now.

Dave
Trick for me is drilling the hole perpendicular.

So are you supposed to slot the hole in the lug like the other barrel lugs?

NO... That would make a bigger hole in the stock as you used it, from ware.. Just drill the hole in the swivel lug a few thousands bigger then the swivel screw diameter, just enough to let the screw swivel. Use the same size drill bit to drill the stock.

As for drilling the whole perpandiular.... What I did with my hand drill, was to install one of those little round levels on the back end of the drill housing. Of course it has to be flat. I used double sided tape. level the stock in your vice first. the level on back of the batt operated drill will keep it very straight.

Dave

NO... That would make a bigger hole in the stock as you used it, from ware.. Just drill the hole in the swivel lug a few thousands bigger then the swivel screw diameter, just enough to let the screw swivel. Use the same size drill bit to drill the stock.

As for drilling the whole perpandiular.... What I did with my hand drill, was to install one of those little round levels on the back end of the drill housing. Of course it has to be flat. I used double sided tape. level the stock in your vice first. the level on back of the batt operated drill will keep it very straight.

Dave
I think that ALL hand drills should have a level on them or AT LEAST a dead flat spot on the rear of the case that is perpendicular to the chuck bore. C'mon Harbor Freight, step it up!

I use a hand cranked eggbeatter drill for such things. They do drill steel quite well. I can eyeball level. I have more control over the muscle powered tool, and it's safer for the project, less likely to flub.
I got one of those out in the wood shop and regularly use it for drilling smallish holes. They're still available on E-bay and such places and usually still work fine. Don't set the budget back too bad either. Too bad you can't still get new ones.

I have a couple of ole hand drills, I Liberated from the Navy. We called them "hurdy gurdies". They work very good. I also have a nice 1/2 inch Drill press by Omahaw Tool. The little batt operated hand drill I use is a small one, I got on Amazon. Its a Kimo 12 volts, perfect for working on gun stocks , and such. Its the one I put the level on.

Dave

I heard from Jim Kibler today and his advice was to use a thicker lug. He makes his own - obviously. But i thought about something that is a fly in the ointment. The lugs on the new Woodsmaster are slotted. Evidently to allow the stock to move. But if I installed a sling lug, thats not slotted, that kinda negates thst feature. I suppose it would be prudent to slot the sling lug.

Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Back