• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woodsrunner kit arrived today, kind of.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kit arrived today and I was very happy there was no obvious damage to the shipping box. However, on opening it I can't locate the lock, sideplate, screws, patchbox spring and screw, two ramrod tubes and pins, nosecap and screws, and trigger.
Can anyone tell me if these items ship separately?
This is how mine came, with about 20 screws to hold on the lid.All parts were there..
Thought about sending back the box for reuse.

Attachments

• 20230315_120814.jpg
    20230315_120814.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230315_135029.jpg
    20230315_135029.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
i had a SMR delivered some time ago ... just screws held down the lid and everything was in place ... you box was definitely opened and your property was stolen ...

I'd be on the USPS in a nasty way ... they owe you, at minimum, a refund of the cost of the kit, a refund of the cost of the shipping, and a formal written apology.
"oh, this happens a lot" just doesn't excuse it...

Additional inspection of the shipping box has turned up something interesting, and maybe answered a few questions. One of the bottom panels had been completely removed and later reinstalled. However it was flipped end for end. I was looking for signs of hot glue having held down a cardboard box and something just didn't make sense. There was a faint mark on the panel, but I didn't think it could have been right because it was under one of the plywood cross supports. Then I noticed the staple holes didn't line up with the staples. Flip the panel to line up with the staples and the faint mark from the glue falls into place perfectly with the area in the box that should have contained the cardboard box.
So, I don't think for a second the box was left out. The shipping box was opened in transit, items removed, and then the removed panel(s) were put back in place and the strapping tape was used to hold everything together.
I'd like to think the shipping box was dropped, broken open from the drop, and the cardboard box became separated. However I can find no damage which would support that idea. I checked the box for pry marks and damage while the delivery person stood and watched me. I assumed the strapping tape was original, not added in transit.
On a happy note, the stock wood is drop dead gorgeous. Can't wait to see it with some color added.

Additional inspection of the shipping box has turned up something interesting, and maybe answered a few questions. One of the bottom panels had been completely removed and later reinstalled. However it was flipped end for end. I was looking for signs of hot glue having held down a cardboard box and something just didn't make sense. There was a faint mark on the panel, but I didn't think it could have been right because it was under one of the plywood cross supports. Then I noticed the staple holes didn't line up with the staples. Flip the panel to line up with the staples and the faint mark from the glue falls into place perfectly with the area in the box that should have contained the cardboard box.
So, I don't think for a second the box was left out. The shipping box was opened in transit, items removed, and then the removed panel(s) were put back in place and the strapping tape was used to hold everything together.
I'd like to think the shipping box was dropped, broken open from the drop, and the cardboard box became separated. However I can find no damage which would support that idea. I checked the box for pry marks and damage while the delivery person stood and watched me. I assumed the strapping tape was original, not added in transit.
On a happy note, the stock wood is drop dead gorgeous. Can't wait to see it with some color added.
You need to call Jim -- damaged and or stolen parts will be needing his attention.

It is by no means an easy job to bust that cardboard box out from the crate. The glue is very tough. Photo of the inside of the crate should make it clear what was done.
Has the OP even called Jim Kibler???
Yup, call has been made along with an email. The glue marks were there after all. Saw them and didn't think they were glue marks due to them being so faint when compared to the glue marks left by the patch box lid. Since the faint marks were under a cross member I just assumed marks were from something else.

Report to Postal Inspector "firearm components were stolen while in USPS custody".

They want to ban everything remotely related to things that go bang of any shape or form. Then they better damn well step up and own it when THEY eff'd up and lost control of these scary things that make Kens and Karens lose their minds.

My Kibler colonial rifle that arrived in January also had a very loose panel on the bottom. fortunately everything important was still inside, had to call and get the instructions which were not there. I have seen several reports of the bottom panels loose including on this forum.
if someone is opening them they are not always stealing parts, perhaps they got a bad batch of boxes and someone put yours back together after things fell out (I know its glued in but who knows what could have happened)
Regardless I agree they need to do something, straps, screws instead of glue for bottom, whatever but this is not acceptable especially since they have been notified this is happening. straps would be a lot cheaper than replacing a $300 lock.

Mine had all the parts and accessories. Found a double indention on the stock that had to be repaired. The back with the glued hard board and staples was opened with strap tape. If you look around the edge of the hard board the raised areas will indicate where it was pried up. Examine the stock all over very close.

I would advise to Jim to also dial back the torque on the screw driver/drill. The screws on my crate were almost pulled through the lid. This and strapping around the crate should be sufficient, I reckon.

I like the tamper proof tape. Thanks!

At first we thought the box lids were just coming off and that it was our fault, but after hearing complaints from 4-5 customers it appears as though the backs are being pried off. Interestingly enough, we put all the small parts (lock, castings etc.) in a small cardboard box glued to the hardboard box bottom. Incidentally these boxes appear to be gone in the boxes that are opened up. It's hard to believe they all came unglued from each box.

To add to this, it seems all boxes with this issue have gone through one post office distribution center. Makes me wonder... We've contacted the post off and they have started investigating. I'm not holding my breath...

Jim

I like the tamper proof tape. Thanks!

At first we thought the box lids were just coming off and that it was our fault, but after hearing complaints from 4-5 customers it appears as though the backs are being pried off. Interestingly enough, we put all the small parts (lock, castings etc.) in a small cardboard box glued to the hardboard box bottom. Incidentally these boxes appear to be gone in the boxes that are opened up. It's hard to believe they all came unglued from each box.

To add to this, it seems all boxes with this issue have gone through one post office distribution center. Makes me wonder... We've contacted the post off and they have started investigating. I'm not holding my breath...

Jim
I was wondering if the effected boxes had something in common. Like a distribution center. Wonder if the parts are showing up in a pawn shop in the same area.
Thank you again for taking such great care of my situation!

My SMR is due here tomorrow, hopefully it arrives in the same great shape as my first one. Fingers crossed.

Back