• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woods walks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rod, Found this link: https://www.crazycrow.com/site/even...in us for the 2020,River at Rock Higgins Park.

Looks like they are setting up for a Feb rondy. There is a phone number in there. Good Luck!

Crazycrow has a lot of rondys listed. Our club does Desert Rose. Not sure what is happening this year. I wan to get to Pacific Primitives' real bad.... We will see when I can get that shot in the arm.....

Hope we can catch up some day.

Awesome, thank you.
Looks like they even allow those without the primitive garb.
I'll have to contact them about any meetings or shoots they have scheduled for this year.
Rod

My stripes are when loading are at right angle to the target or parallel to the berms when i am bench resting and there are berms. If no berms i use a patch without stripes. It just is to much of a chance of a screw up if there is no berms on the side of the range. Better safe than oops.
Aligning strips with berms is an old wife’s tail.... up there with feeding a cold and starving a fever or all cats being grey after midnight
If you shoot plan unstruped cloth treat your warp threads like stripes but don’t adjust for caliber.... unless it’s a moonless night, high elevation or you have a cross wind greater then 7,.3 knots. Never, and I mean never, use a patch with a herringbone weave

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you.
Looks like they even allow those without the primitive garb.
I'll have to contact them about any meetings or shoots they have scheduled for this year.
Rod
Most clubs want to invite all and recognize the newbie who wants to learn vs the person who wants to resemble a body part
Some events are special but if you make an effort you will find the folks that go to these can help get you ready to pass inspection

Howdy Capnball,
Thank you for your insightful question. The answer is "depends."
I wish I shared your ability to assemble kits. My inletting always looks like I did it from 6 paces with a blunt tomahawk. I'm pretty sure that when they were handing out fine motor skills, I thought the announcement said "Find motor skills" so I went off looking for `em instead of getting my basic issue like every other recruit.

Howdy Capnball,
Thank you for your insightful question. The answer is "depends."
I wish I shared your ability to assemble kits. My inletting always looks like I did it from 6 paces with a blunt tomahawk. I'm pretty sure that when they were handing out fine motor skills, I thought the announcement said "Find motor skills" so I went off looking for `em instead of getting my basic issue like every other recruit.
LOL, "some assembly required" is a scary sentence huh? Seriously though, watch Kiblers videos. Takes alot of the scary out. You already know the gun, that's half the battle. But I get it, some people just don't do tools. My dad was like that. Oh he'd yell up a storm if something broke or wore out. I got so tired of hearing him screaming and hollering I started fixing things before he noticed they were broke. I think I was five, lol. I have this way of thinking that if sombody else can do it, then I can do it! Now there's some orthodontist that would disagree with my thinking but I got a set of Dremel tools like you never saw, I think I can do it!

I was recently invited to participate in a woods walk. Looks like alot of fun. Anybody here participate in them? Any advice or tips you can pass along? I'm not looking to win, I just want to finish. Any additional information would be great.
Neil
I love shooting WW's with friends. Here's one example from the NMLRA woods walk a few years ago: ( starting at the 2:00 mark )

You have to check out kits before you buy. I got one ‘for the experienced builder’ 20 lbs of pig iron and brass ingots and a hand full of maple seeds.
That's the popular "Acorn to muzzleloaders kit" you should try and get that early, like 7 or 8.

There are woods walks and then there are Woods Walks. Much depends on the rules and course.

The common woods walk is a straight forward walk along a wooded path to shoot at various targets. You will be required to load from the pouch and use the ramrod on the gun. Points may be deducted if you use modern materials such as an aluminum ram rod. Most targets will be metal silhouettes but some may be other novelty targets.

Then there are the scenario based Woods Walks. these consist of a team of participants that have to negotiate a scenario such as a hunting party to get food for the fort, deliver a message from one post to another, a scout to determine if hostiles are in the area, a party to track down a band of natives or whatever scenario the hosts have set up. You have to be prepared with the material to support your team on a typical 3 day scout. You will need a blanket, cooking utensils, food, materials to start a fire and to maintain your firearm. There may be questions about the area or a quiz to identify trees, or animal tracks. There will be logic type questions. On the scout for hostiles, you may be required to know the difference in targets that are friendly or those that are hostile. Woe to the team that shoots up the friendly natives.

At the Fort de Chartres Woods Walk in November, each participant puts up a $20 prize for the blanket. The top 6 teams also get a meat prize. Teams 2 through 6 participate in a lottery to determine the host for the next Woods Walk. The last place team each member gets a can of Spam as even the worst hunters should come home with meat.

What have you been told @Capnball about the woods walk?
The scenario based WW sounds like so much fun! Where are these held that you were referring to?

@flintlockrb, Here's a few pictures of my team on the trail and trying to show we have the right stuff for the scenario.

The Woods Walk that is held annually during the Fall Encampment at Fort de Chartres, Illinois. The State of Illinois cancelled outdoor gatherings of this size this year due to Covid-19 concerns. Hopefully we can have one on the first weekend in November 2021. There is also a similar one held as part of the competition of the military units at the October F&I Encampment at Fort de Chartres. That's held on the second weekend in October.

Another Volley.JPG

Part of the fun is getting through the pre-walk inspection. Its a test of being prepared and sometimes frontier savvy knowledge.

01_We're Suposed to Have What (2).jpg

@flintlockrb, Here's a few pictures of my team on the trail and trying to show we have the right stuff for the scenario.

The Woods Walk that is held annually during the Fall Encampment at Fort de Chartres, Illinois. The State of Illinois cancelled outdoor gatherings of this size this year due to Covid-19 concerns. Hopefully we can have one on the first weekend in November 2021. There is also a similar one held as part of the competition of the military units at the October F&I Encampment at Fort de Chartres. That's held on the second weekend in October.

View attachment 55156

Part of the fun is getting through the pre-walk inspection. Its a test of being prepared and sometimes frontier savvy knowledge.

View attachment 55158
That's like a whole other thing then a woods walk. Looks like a blast. Sorry this year was canceled. I hope to attend some functions like that when this is all over. I told my Mrs that next year we're going to have a Christmas blow out to make up for this year. She's already planning! This is only the second year in my 62 years on earth I haven't been with my whole family for Christmas. The first one was in 1976. I was on guard duty at an ammo dump in germany on the Czech border during a pretty good snow storm. Every year I remember that there's guys and girls all over the world who won't be with their families because I used to be one. Just the Mrs and I this year. That's good enough for me as long as everyone else is healthy.
Gave a safe holiday and next year? Let's party like it's 2021!

Back