• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woods walks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capnball

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was recently invited to participate in a woods walk. Looks like alot of fun. Anybody here participate in them? Any advice or tips you can pass along? I'm not looking to win, I just want to finish. Any additional information would be great.
Neil

They are a lot of fun. The ones I have attended all involve shooting at metal plates and stuff that blows up like carrots and potatoes and eggs. There is usually a card target, shooting at them on edge. Don't get to BSing and dryball.
Happens to the best of us, lol

I was recently invited to participate in a woods walk. Looks like alot of fun. Anybody here participate in them? Any advice or tips you can pass along? I'm not looking to win, I just want to finish. Any additional information would be great.
Neil
First of all, you want to try to win!! That is the fun of it. Yes, I have done the woods walk and depending on the club each arrangement will most likely be different. Tips?? Some are totally out of the pouch loading. Some might have a rail to lean your rifle against. That is something you need to be prepared for especially if you are not used to loading free hand, meaning no rifle support. Have a loading block, that will help you to keep your loading time down, although the one I shoot is not timed. Carry only what you need and no more. Be prepared for different size targets at various ranges.
Last of all..............Go for the Gold!:thumb:
Flintlocklar🇺🇲

First of all, you want to try to win!! That is the fun of it. Yes, I have done the woods walk and depending on the club each arrangement will most likely be different. Tips?? Some are totally out of the pouch loading. Some might have a rail to lean your rifle against. That is something you need to be prepared for especially if you are not used to loading free hand, meaning no rifle support. Have a loading block, that will help you to keep your loading time down, although the one I shoot is not timed. Carry only what you need and no more. Be prepared for different size targets at various ranges.
Last of all..............Go for the Gold!:thumb:
Flintlocklar🇺🇲
I watched a few you tube videos about it. Each looks a little differently structured. Other than bragging rights, is there any winnings? I guess that also brings up the question, what does it cost above powder and balls?

Great fun, ours is all metal targets. If you're going to break a ramrod, lose your capper, run out of powder, dry ball or drop your powderhorn in the creek, this is where you will do it. We call it the walk of shame when you have to go back because of one of those episodes.
Like I said, finishing the course will be something of a win for me.

Two suggestions: If you find that you really enjoy WW's enough to attend them on a regular basis, consider making a check list for the items you'll need to carry. Said list should also include a range rod with a muzzle protector. R. Rice and Track of the Wolf offer them or you can make your own (so you don't have to rely on the one that came with your rifle). Don't ask how I know this!

Two suggestions: If you find that you really enjoy WW's enough to attend them on a regular basis, consider making a check list for the items you'll need to carry. Said list should also include a range rod with a muzzle protector. R. Rice and Track of the Wolf offer them or you can make your own (so you don't have to rely on the one that came with your rifle). Don't ask how I know this!
Yeah my mind is going a million miles a second right now. Are there shooting classes like "Flintlock", "Percussion" "Traditional" "Modern"?

Neil
a woods walk sounds like great fun. have fun and let us know how it goes :thumb:

Most woods walks that I have been to require a "Table prize" usually in the $10 range. You put a prize on the table and then they are awarded by choice in order of place. First place picks first, etc..

Most woods walks that I have been to require a "Table prize" usually in the $10 range. You put a prize on the table and then they are awarded by choice in order of place. First place picks first, etc..
Ohhhh, nice. See that? I just lernt sumthin!
Neil

Woods walks are a lot of fun....and frustration if you have gun problems or a "dicey" target. For me the dicey one was the axe head ball split and the playing card edgewise cut. There were blanket prizes based on score but not all do this. It's worth the trouble for the great fun of it.

Woods walks are a lot of fun....and frustration if you have gun problems or a "dicey" target. For me the dicey one was the axe head ball split and the playing card edgewise cut. There were blanket prizes based on score but not all do this. It's worth the trouble for the great fun of it.
I'm all about fun.

Back