• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woods Walk Targets!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas.bill92

40 Cal
Reaction score
Here are some easy DIY targets I made for a woods walk range at my place. They have held up very well to .22 and some unmentionable pistol rounds, will start slingin' some .490 round balls at em next weekend! I don't have the exact specs on the pipe as I found it out in the woods but it is 3" and appears to be about SCH40, bolt through the top with some little PVC spacers to keep the chain centered. Hung with 1/2" poly rope.

Attachments

• IMG_20210926_122043_965.jpg
    IMG_20210926_122043_965.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210926_122043_953.jpg
    IMG_20210926_122043_953.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 64
Here are some easy DIY targets I made for a woods walk range at my place. They have held up very well to .22 and some unmentionable pistol rounds, will start slingin' some .490 round balls at em next weekend! I don't have the exact specs on the pipe as I found it out in the woods but it is 3" and appears to be about SCH40, bolt through the top with some little PVC spacers to keep the chain centered. Hung with 1/2" poly rope.
I'm looking at the rounded surfaces on these targets and wondering if that might cause any dangerous ricochets?

We used a similar target for a fun shoot a few weeks ago. You would be amazed how much that cylinder gets flattened out after being hit a little more than a few times when it is set at about 20 yards. Fun to watch them dance on that chain. We had no ricochet issues during the match. As the cylinder swings, most of the energy needed for the ball to ricochet is released as the ball flattens and falls to the ground or splatters over the range.

Just an update, the targets have held up great so far. I've been shooting my .36 the most in recent weeks and it doesn't do anything more than knock the paint off. One was shot with a stout charge of 100gr of 2f behind a .490 round ball and that put a hole in one wall of the pipe. A modest target load of 45gr with a .490 doesn't even dent it though.

Latest posts

Back