• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woods walk setup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Question, if you are doing practice for a woods walk style shoot of say 15 shots minimum, non range setup so you can't bring your tackle boxes unless you have someone tote it for you, so rifle, shooting bag, powder horn, ball bag, patch knife.

How do you tote your patches? Length of material and hook on your bag or horn strap? In your mouth for spit Patch? Kinda depends on lube? Use a wet patch messes up the bag a bit and does not taste so good. Dutch's dry lube system? Precut? How Minimize the number of times dipping into the shooting bag? Use your sweaty shirt your wearing for patch material?

Hunting, a tin of 3-5 precut with favorite lube works, but shooting 15 times or more? Swab as 15 shots gonna maybe get tough to load?

Working on my setup and looking for some guidance. Thanks for the help and thoughts.

I keep my balls and pre cut round patches in my shot bag on my belt.

That’s all that’s in that bag, one time in and one time out with a single patch and round ball in hand.

I tote a shoulder strap bag as well, it contains an extra roll of 1 1/2” wide ticking from cleaning the bore.

A small bottle of windshield washer fluid , a small bottle of denathuted alcohol flint wallet with 4 extra flints, (just cause it looks cool) a lock vise and a turn screw.

I try to keep the correct size jag and a brass wire brush in there too.

I almost forgot I carry a small mallet too , it acts as a short starter. Last thing is a vent pick which normally is pinned through my bags shoulder strap.

Works for me.

I think most woods walks allow the use of a cleaning rod , but I’m sure there’s some where the ram rod must be used .

How do you tote your patches?
If I want to cut at the muzzle, I place a rolled strip of my favorite material in the bag. A second strip is loose tied to me or my shootin pouch. I have a mini plastic (not PC of course) bottle with a twist to open pour spout. It holds about 2oz of my liquid patch lube/bore cleaner. If I choose to use precut, I have a brass tin, with lid about 2.25" in diameter x .70 high. The lube is already on the precut patches. If you want to cut down on extra items in the bag, patching will work for swabbing, although not as good as a soft cotton cleaning patch.
Flintlocklar :wink:

Dry patches in my bag and lube with spit.....Even if I wanted to use lube I would still carry them in my bag and lube them one at a time, Either from my lube tin or by using my grease hole in my stock.

1st,, you have to know what kind of patch and lube you use for accuracy,,
Then you carry them.
Your question mentions 3 or 4 different patch/lube methods. If you can't determine what works for you on a regular basis,, carrying them doesn't matter.
:idunno:
Me? I use the method prescribed by Brother Dutch,, Always.
So on a woods walk I carry a strip and a knife.
p.s. many times a woods walk has a lot to do with more then shooting,, it has to do with preparedness.

I lube a strip of pillow ticking with mink oil and cut at muzzle. I just keep my prelubed strip in my bag. You’re over thinking this. Find a patch and lube that works for you. Then worry about how your going to carry it. Most options are pretty simple and an altoids tin can hold a fair amount of patches or even a plastic bad.

That's the way I hunt and practice. I keep ball blocks pre-lubed and loaded (if allowed for the woods walk and for hunting) or a roll of six feet by 1-3/8" strips of "dipped and dried" Moose Juice lube rolled up in a waxed deerskin bag that I cut at the muzzle.

I don't have a "range box" at all because I walk out the back door to my shooting spot.

Woods walk is more like hunting than paper punching......spit patch, lube, or ball block my main gun doesn't seem to care which I use....they all go in the 10 ring....

My point is, try them all and see which suits the best and your preference.

jdw276 said:
Question, if you are doing practice for a woods walk style shoot of say 15 shots minimum, non range setup so you can't bring your tackle boxes unless you have someone tote it for you, so rifle, shooting bag, powder horn, ball bag, patch knife.

How do you tote your patches? Length of material and hook on your bag or horn strap? In your mouth for spit Patch? Kinda depends on lube? Use a wet patch messes up the bag a bit and does not taste so good. Dutch's dry lube system? Precut? How Minimize the number of times dipping into the shooting bag? Use your sweaty shirt your wearing for patch material?

Hunting, a tin of 3-5 precut with favorite lube works, but shooting 15 times or more? Swab as 15 shots gonna maybe get tough to load?

Working on my setup and looking for some guidance. Thanks for the help and thoughts.
Everything needed is in my bag & horn - powder, balls, tin of pre-cut & greased patches and I load with the rod attached to the gun. I can shoot a trail of 15-20 targets (and more) out of the bag and don't need or carry a tackle/range box. Try it, you'll like it...

I include in my gear some cleaning ,material. For me its "tow and toggle". This is a fairly large wad of tow tied with a sturdy linen thread. I like to run it down the barrel after a couple of shots to control the fouling. My steel ramrod for my musket has a button that hay or may not hold the damp tow. Then I need the thread (toggle) to pull the tow out. The hot barrel dries out quickly so I can reload. Built up fouling is the major cause of poor performance and poor accuracy in a Woods Walk.

You can also use a damp cleaning patch if you keep a cleaning jag on your ramrod. Wipe the bore, wipe the flint and wipe the pan often.

And I need to cross the border! From Belgium to the Netherlands to find a 'nearby' range ! (And bring the necessary documents to prove ownership of gun, membership of club, European gun passport etc....) :cursing: :barf: :shake:

Back