• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden ramrods?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use nothing but wood rods for shooting at the range, or where ever. I guess being a wood engineer, I know pretty much how to read grain, but it isn't rocket science. I make my own and never had one break.

At least so far, all that posted here, have more than one ramrod. Way too many times, I see a guy use the wood ramrod that came with the gun and break it. Now, he is scrambling and coming to the internet to find out how to make a ramrod, just so he can clean his gun! I have nothing against a good wood ramrod at all, I just be sure you have more than one. Yes, I know it isn't supposed to happen, but I have broke a ramrod. Now, if I break a ramrod, I just go ahead and make about 2 extras. Nothing is worse to me, then to have to scramble to make a ramrod to clean a dirty bore, or to be in hunting season and not have an extra ramrod. All of my range rods are steel, with bore guides on them. Because I am lazy, I have a complete rod for each caliber or gauge I own. Seems as if over the years, they breed!

First thing I did with the first TC Hawken rifle I bought, was replace the wooden ram rod. I use a range rod for all shooting,cleaning except that which might be needed to be done in the field.

I did buy a "range rod", as I do agree it is a good idea, and I use it for cleaning. (I actually have only shot the rifle one day so far) I hadn't thought about having an extra wooden rod around as a spare, and I thank you for the suggestion!

Many of the folks I know still use wood RR's some carrry a 4' range rod on rail walks I have one I used for cleaning at times, the whole safety thing with ML's has gotten blown ay out of proportion IMHO from where we were 40 years ago, and we made out OK back then, much like folks did in the 18th century,. I will not go into specifics about current thoughts about dos and don'ts safety wise, as there is a fairly large "make them save themselves" faction on thios forum so it would just be another 15 pg squabble about "I'm right , no I'm right I was a hunter safety instructor for 20 years" and on and on. Someone gave the best advice I think there is, just know your guns, use common sense, and follow any rules in effect wherever you find them in place and enjoy, no amount of exchange will reverse anyones position on this of many other issues we get steamed up over from time to time.

Things sure have changed from 40yrs ago,particularily in the way Courts and Juries view safety and who is responsible.Many of the "rules"enforced at clubs is at the insistence of some Insurance Co.or risk manager and have nothing to do with common sense but rather the avoidance of a perceived liability.

I prefer the use of a stainless steel range rod with brass muzzle protector. A good Hickory rod can be used too, but I prefer the stainless range rod because it has a nice handle on it and is quite robust. It's too heavy for field use though, so it's a range item.

I too, own lots of ramrods...I made one nice solid 3/8ths brass rod, four feet long, with jags on both ends for range use. other guns have metal rods made from sections of 3/8ths steel automotive brake lines cut to length, or aluminum replacement rods. Of course, several of my guns have wood rods, and I have broke ALOT of them, so I always carry a spare!

So, are the aluminum rods such as T/C sells OK? Seems I've seen negative comments about them. Need a rod for one of my guns (the prior owner lost it) but all they have around here are the aluminum and I've been too lazy or forgetful to order something else.

Good idea about the dowel rods. Those in Home Deport or Lowes are either poplar (way too soft, of course) or oak. I guess oak would be good. Now, I've read Sam Fadala's recommendation of soaking a hickory rod in coal oil, using a piece of plumbing PVC, for example. But where the heck do you find coal oil these days? Is that an old term for kerosene? I can see where it might make them a bit more flexible (and stinky).

Brass is hard to beat thouigh a bit heavy many suto supply stores will sell it by the foot (NAPA) you can drill and thread either or noth ends and carry the rod in the thimbles of the gun and it will ram the ball home with authority, I made one for a 36" 12 bore fowler that had what appeared to be a very light home modified shotgun barrel and the extra weight made it easier to swing/shoot the gun had a choke tube but I only used the open bore tube, it was a bit more modern than I cared for and a bit short of teach of pull,so sold it for funds to put toward French Fusil

I'm glad that guy didn't approach me...I have one flinter from 1977, still using the original rod...My other flinter is one I made in the late 80s, still using the original rod...

If made and used properly with the proper ball and patch combo you'll be hard pressed to break a hickory ramrod...

I think you were dealing with a foolish know it all...

"If made and used properly with the proper ball and patch combo you'll be hard pressed to break a hickory ramrod..."

I think you hit the main point there, the wood RR's of today are asked to shove down much much tigher loads than were used in the past and a certain lack of learning the proper method of seating the ball with a wood RR is probably an issue as well, just my thoughts,.... speculation without integrity, with a spatter of physics tossed in for good measure.

I've always gotten good service from wooden ramrods though in 45 years I've only broken two - and they came with the guns. For cleaning and 95% of the loading done at the range, I use one of three steel rods I own. Even at the range I will occasionally use the under-barrel wooden rod. There are times when I have trouble gripping a thin steel rod.

I try and keep a small supply of rod blanks ready to make into ramrods if needed. On all my guns I replaced the gun's rods with hickory rods I made and fit them with antler tips. They were first soaked in kerosene - I can't say for sure it helps but it doesn't hurt - and dried till the smell left. After soaking they won't take stain but it really doesn't matter. In the woods the hickory rod under the barrel is the one I use. And yes, experience and knowing your gun go a long way toward rod life and safety. I still have and use the wooden rod that came with a rifle I bought 45 years ago.

The nice thing is we all get to chose what we wish to use.

After pulling a wood ramrod from my friend's forearm, I think I will contiue to use brass, on the range and in the field.

Brass in cheaper than the emergency room fee, and less painfull than wood in the long run.

RDE

After reading these posts and thinking a bit more, I'd say most of the issues with wooden ramrods are laid at the door of the cheap ones many guns come with. Poor choice of wood and no attention to grain. I also agree that some of these really tight fitted loads might be too much for a wooden rod. I will be getting a good range rod or long piece of brass.

I use a solid brass range rod with a large wooden handle in a kind of balloon, or inverted pear, shape. I leave the original wood rod in the thimbles.

My reason, however, is slightly different than others: I've never shot the range rod downrange.

'nuf said. :redface:

I am not advocating wood rods, but if one knows how to "read the grain", there will never be a problem with breakage.

The original rod that came with my T/C broke with no injury. That was when I began purchasing my own rods and culling out the few that could break.

Rusty: The others have described grain runout pretty well but seeing what it looks like on your ramrod is the easiest way to describe it.

This sketch shows what to look for.

ramrodgrain1.jpg

The patterns are caused by the grain coming out the side of the rod and then being machined or sanded off.

If a ramrod has patterns like this it is a dangerous item. It can break right along one of those lines leaving the remaining point razor sharp.

Humm,that is cause for an oh oh because I have a rod that looks just like that in your illustration.I owe you a big thanks.After seeing your illustration,I went and looked at some of my rods.I had flash backs of pain when I seen the lay of the grain.

Latest posts

Back