• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wooden handled mugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I scored several truck loads of maple cut offs ( one gallon of cider per truck load ) so I made some wooden handled mugs since I don'y have a large supply of antler for handles. I have often wondered if I could make a wooden handled mug on a modern lathe . They used to use "pole lathes" with stops set so the wood only turned part of the circle. Then hollowed out the handle. I find that the handle part takes as long as turning out the center of the mug. mug and bowl.jpg

Working with wood isn't really working, it is more like playing. I started in high school wood shop to get out of"acedemic" classes. And have played with wood ever since I got out of college. I find wood working relaxing and blacksmithing stress relief. There is nothing that relieves stress better than hitting something!

I use a two part finish, first is two heavy coats of "super glue" to seal and strengthen the wood.Then two coats of nitro cellulose lacquar for a "food safe" finish. For sanding I just use regular psa sandpaper fastened to various shaped blocks and time and effort.Then final sanding with scotch brite .

To attach the handles I make the handle seperate. Then rough out the radius of the mug on the end of my belt sander.Then finish the radius by sanding the final radius by wrapping a piece of course sand paper over a drum slightly smaller than the mug OD (this allows for the thickness of the sandpaper). Then drawing the handle over the drum. I attach the handle with a thick Super glue . It actually takes more time to make and attach the handle than turn the mug.

Latest posts

Back