• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wooden cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, after good advice from Old Iron sights and Musketman, I'm going to try and post the picture of my wooden cannon from photobucket. Here goes
hank2.jpg

hank1.jpg

if nothing shows up, I need to do a pm with Musketman..Hank

The neighbors have learned that the bbl is made of cedar, and think it is harmless. I plan to add a steel bbl from Hertz (sp) Iron works in October...once every one is at ease with the gun.
and, no, not North Korea, North Carolina..Hank

May I suggest you also find a way to make your trunions of steel also, if you plan to fire this gun? And, the trunions have to be connected to the steel barrel, and not the wooden liner. Even firing blanks, these things generate some recoil forces, and the carriage has to be able to take them, as they pass from the barrel to the trunions. to the carriage, to the ground. you will split the wooden tongues of the carriage unless they are supported with iron or steel straps around the trunions, and that strapping goes around the front end of each tongue, and well back along the top edge, too.

I built a Light 6 pound British Field Piece with a friend, and we used green Oak lumber to make the tongue of the carriage, and pounded iron strapping that was 1/4 " thick to meet original specs, around the wood to protect the carriage from recoil. Please, do not treat these guns lightly, as they can come apart on you, even when the barrel liner remains intact. MY friend's cannon was made of cast steel, and had a 1/4" thick liner in addition to the casting. The liner was rated to take the entire load, pressure-wise. However, we spent a lot of time making that carriage to spec, and doing it right, so he could have the option of firing live rounds, including lead cannon balls, with the one pound of powder per shot load that was called for in the orginal military spec sheet. After we did that a couple of times, we found a cheaper way to fire that cannon, and still have fun.

Paul, thanks for your advice. The bbl I'm looking at has trunions already in place...I'm not planning to shoot this thing more than as a noise maker on the 4th...I may not even do that...my .58 cal. Mark Silver Va. rifle worked fine last 4th, and I can probably find something to spend the price of the bbl on..Hank

Gary said:
Nice quaker gun. Any progress on it?
Gary, NO. the neighbors are getting used to the sight of it, and know that the bbl is wood...I want them all to be sure of that before I replace the bbl...looking at some of those cannon-disaster pics, I wonder if I'll ever do it...Hank

Latest posts

Back