• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woodcraft Vise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this for those interested. Just got this Woodcraft pattern maker's/gunstock vise today. Haven't had a chance to really use it yet but it seems to be a really good vise for the money. Jaws swivel and the whole thing can rotate if you want and opens pretty wide. The wood jaws have a firm rubber? pad attached and seems to give a really good grip. It's on sale now till the end of June. Pretty good deal. Some of the bearing surfaces could benefit from a little cleanup, other than that I think it will work great.

Attachments

• 20210609_170301.jpg
    20210609_170301.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210609_170352.jpg
    20210609_170352.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 104
Very nice shop Bob -- but a bit TOO clean. I bet you were cleaning for a week just to get that picture - :ghostly: :thumb:. And what's with the computer and TV?

Very nice shop Bob -- but a bit TOO clean. I bet you were cleaning for a week just to get that picture - :ghostly: :thumb:. And what's with the computer and TV?

Lol. Very close guess and yep, it doesn’t look so clean today. I emptied and remodeled the shop from the studs up. This pic was taken within a few weeks of having it back together. The computer station is for editing my BPTV videos and the TV is for watching Gunsmoke. I love the island on the left as I use the backside for leatherwork and boxing/packaging as well. My little gunmaking nook on the right is my happy place.

Very nice Bob - I like everything about your shop/happy place including the spittoon :ghostly:

Very nice Bob - I like everything about your shop/happy place including the spittoon :ghostly:

Thanks.

Well, as for the spittoon, I was a mighty fine shot, using that particular spittoon for quite a few years, but alas, I gave up the Copenhagen a month ago after 34 years. I swear when I get 75 all my favorite vices are going to make a big comeback.

Of the dozen vises I have, that’s one of 3 that stay mounted to the bench.
I use it more than the other two.
Mine didn’t come with rubber so I glued some 9/10 oz leather to the jaws. Still, stocks can slip and fall so I’ve put foam rubber under the jaws to avoid denting a stock.
I think I’ll look into replacing leather with rubber pads like your new one has

Computers and TV in the workshop is just wrong. I got a new house recently so I am working on setting up the workshop. I was putting in lighting today. The ceiling is cement. That makes it all a lot harder.After that comes putting 240 volt wiring for milling machine and a heater.

That is teh best vise that you could get for building rifles.

I like the bags boards storage, very clever...

I did one gun without that vise and one with it. It saved me hours from trying to securely shim and clamp the stock in a standard vise.

Just thought I'd post this for those interested. Just got this Woodcraft pattern maker's/gunstock vise today. Haven't had a chance to really use it yet but it seems to be a really good vise for the money. Jaws swivel and the whole thing can rotate if you want and opens pretty wide. The wood jaws have a firm rubber? pad attached and seems to give a really good grip. It's on sale now till the end of June. Pretty good deal. Some of the bearing surfaces could benefit from a little cleanup, other than that I think it will work great.

I'm jealous, I'll admit it.

Must be time for me to upgrade - been using this one for forty-two years - for everything vise-worthy...IMG_0327.jpg

That is genuine well used neoprene in those jaws though...

Seriously, enjoy your new vise. It should serve you well.

ppb

Last edited:
Bob McBride it isn't fair that you have that fancy well stocked shop. I have a small corner in the basement.
I am sorry Jake. But "fair" is an invented construct. You will find it nowhere in nature. I think mothers invented it to try to control their children. Unfortunately, it has taken on a life of its own.

Solanco, I still envy the shop but you are right. We used to tell our kids when they were young and one got something and the others said “ it isn’t fair” is the only way to be completely fair is if none of them got anything.

Latest posts

Back