• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood Type

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lickskillet

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just ordered my first kit, a Traditions Kentucky. Does anyone know what kind of wood they use for stocks? It says Walnut-Finished Select Hardwood, but I'm just about sure that doesn't mean the wood is walnut, just the stain color.

Do they actually stain the kit stock??

I think they use beech. When you come to finishing, it won't darken with just a tru oil application. It does need a stain unless you want a colorless natural look.

No they don't stain the kit stock, I was reading the wrong page lol. I'm ordering the LMF gunsmith finishing kit soon. What stain goes good with a beech stock?

Last edited:
the traditions Kentucky
DSC03303.JPG
kit I was given appears to be birch (would not carve well , very chippy) here's a close up
DSC03288 (2).JPG
DSC03291 (2).JPG
the kit came unfinished white wood and barrel . I browned the barrel and used cherry stock stain to bring out the birches iridescent high lights (you can really see them in sun light)
DSC03296.JPG

Last edited:
The stock is made of beech wood. It does not like oil based stains so stay away from Minwax oil based stains. If the container says anything about paint thinner or paint solvent, stay away from it.

A alcohol base or water base stain works quite well with it. This CVA 12 guage was stained with Birchwood Casey Walnut stain. It's available at gun stores and several hardware stores.

CVA-SHOTGUN-001web.jpg

Awesome looking guns. Man I can’t wait to start on mine! Thanks for the advice. Hunting season ends this weekend, this baby will be ready come October.

The rays in the grain give it away as beech. Birch and maple typically don't have them to the extent beech does. Beech is a strong stable wood and has been used as replacement stocks as a stand-in for walnut for a long time. (Witness all the re-arsenaled M-1 Garands and Carbines that came out of the process.). It's also generally cheaper.

Back