• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wood repair around tang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I read this thread. I made a similar boo boo on my .32 when I inletted the tang. I was just going to seat the tang and just fill in the gaps with colored bedding material, but the shims idea is perfect. I have several slivers of the stock lying around that. I can use.

Be careful if you file much of a taper in to your tang for inletting (the way the "how to build" books advocate). If you do that, and your inlet doesn't similarly taper all the way down, as you file down the tang and wood together (to flush everything up) a gap can start opening up.

Where I screwed up was right where the tang meets the back of the breech plug, in that section directly behind the plug that you have to inlet straight down to the bottom of the barrel channel. Thought I was being careful but when I finally got the tang inlet, I noticed the mortice was a little wide there. Oh well, not a real hard repair.

Back