• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood Grip Finish On Colts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About that Tung Oil drying problem. A few drops of Japan Drier in about 5 oz Tung Oil will speed up polymerization. for better penetration into the wood, lower the oil's viscosity by adding some napthalene.

For the folks disappointed after applying "coats" of Tung, Linseed, or other varnishing oils, just remember, it's not paint. and Formby's is not a great choice for finishing gunstocks, since after a little actual carry in the field, it wears poorly.

Varnishing oils are best applied with rag or lint-free paper towel, then allowed to soak into the wood. After about 30 minutes, wipe down the excess and rub as much as you can (not much) into the wood. Remove excess surface oil and allow it to polymerize at least overnite.

If you do want to paint on a shiney coat of BLO or Tung, even with the Japan drier, be prepared to wait several days before attempting to handle it or use it.

According to Flayderman's Guide, , writing about the Colt Walker Model Revolver,

" Manufactured in 1847, with a total production of approximately 1,100...

"One piece walnut grips. Casehardened frame, hammer and lever; balance blued, excepting plain brass trigger guard, and the cylinder "in the white".

Here's what I did to mine, using Birchwood Casey "Blue & Rust Remover".

TNGhost said:
Very nice. That look has an appeal to it for sure. :hatsoff:

Did you give any special treatment to the grips?
No. I didn't do anything to the grips.

I'm pretty sure they were never messed with but the gun is OLD so anyone in the last 50 years could have done something to the grips.

Currently, they are well oiled with (probably) linseed oil.

It was proofed in 1967 and made by MARCO, who I believe was a predecessor to Armi San Marco if not just a shortened way of marking Armi San Marco.

Back