• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I added my first coat of permalyn sealer to my SMR last night. The iron nitrate color is darker than I envisioned but pretty none the less. Pictures will be posted soon. I would like to finish with a coat of Briwax or similar. How will the wax color darken the finish? Or will it darken the finish? I'm trying to choose which shade will work best with the color I have. Maybe I should have waited to ask this question until I posted a picture? :doh:

Thank you in advance
Terry

Try it on scrap first. I always try to apply stain and finish on a scrap before I start on the main project - I hate surprises!

If you already sealed the wood and apply the Briwax and don’t like it (the wax should hardly be visible if it is applied over a sealed piece of wood) simply wipe it off with some denatured alcohol. In my experience the Briwax doesn’t really add color to anything that is sealed but helps hide small scratches in the finish.

Try it on scrap first. I always try to apply stain and finish on a scrap before I start on the main project - I hate surprises!

If you already sealed the wood and apply the Briwax and don’t like it (the wax should hardly be visible if it is applied over a sealed piece of wood) simply wipe it off with some denatured alcohol. In my experience the Briwax doesn’t really add color to anything that is sealed but helps hide small scratches in the finish.
Thank you, I considered that about Briwax but didn't know for sure. So I choose the color of Briwax to match the color of the rifle then. I haven't gotten far enough to see any cosmetic issues yet, but I am sure I will. The Kibler SMR is my first PC kit, so I genuinely learn as I go. The color is something I can live with, and after the metal is finished and installed, the overall appearance may be just fine.

Thank you for replying

Doesn’t matter if you get wax on the metal but will be easier to buff without barrel and lock. I would put a coat of wax in the barrel channel as well the bottom of the barrel.

Pictures please, I too will be finishing a Kibler soon. I will try iron nitrate, on a sample piece. I am also interested in alcohol based wood dyes, and will try them as well. Best luck on your beauty!

Back