• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wood carver mallets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just cut limb and draw knife the part you want for handle. If you can’t make that then maybe you should rethink stock work. 😬
I know that, just was asking a simple question to take a look. Just because this forum is dealing with firearms old doesn't mean a person has to make every tool and need from scratch. I don't have to have a shop with all my tools made by hand to enjoy working on a firearm or when the end result is done say "Yep, made that just like they did 200 years ago with like tools. I have thought of taking a old ball bat and reforming that, but of course that probably won't be 'old timey'! 😆

I got a couple lignum vitae mallets back in the 80s. Prices for those now would blow your mind. Woodcraft has mallets. I don't think they sell any cheap stuff, but they have mallets for reasonable prices. They also have fancy expensive ones.

I used to buy from Woodcraft, Woodworker's Supply, Klingspor's Woodworking Shop, and Highland Hardware (Atlanta, GA) back in the "mail order" days.

Woodcraft & Klingspor's now have storefronts in some areas.

You might also try calling or going to a local hardwood supplier; someone there might do some wood turning on the side for you.

No problem Phil---I want to get one but not needed right now. I do craft a few things once in a while. Was looking on a few sights and they wanted $30 plus. Ebay had used ones for around $15, but want $10 shipping. Maybe that is the going cost of doing business. Crossed my mind to grab one of the wife's wooden mallet looking clubs she uses for canning, but I'd probably get hit over the head with it if I caught caught. I'll have to check out Woodcraft-thank you for the info 'billraby'. One of those old wood ball bats maybe the way to go, they've been laying around for twenty years without use.

I got mine at Woodcraft. Didn't have access to a lathe to make one. It was a while ago and I don't remember what I paid for it. It probably wasn't cheap because nothing at Woodcraft is, but you get what you pay for and as my dad always told me, a quality tool is always worth the price. If you can get a decent one for $25 shipped, that sounds like a good deal to me. I would be careful with eBay. A lot of foreign knock-off stuff on there.

I found a couple of nice ones on e-bay. The potato masher I got was vintage, well used, in nice shape, for a good price.

I've seen small bundles of firewood for sale at local gas stations/quickie marts. I guess they're for sale to campers and folks who burn their fireplace once or twice a year? Anyway, I notice some really nice mallets in those bundles every time I walk by. Just a possible option if you don't have easy access to seasoned hardwood stock of an adequate size.

I got a couple lignum vitae mallets back in the 80s. Prices for those now would blow your mind. Woodcraft has mallets. I don't think they sell any cheap stuff, but they have mallets for reasonable prices. They also have fancy expensive ones.
Lignum vitae mallets ? Why didn't you get a iron bar and save the money? I believe it is the hardest wood there is?

Hi,
Woodcraft, Lee Valley, Woodcraft Supplies, Garret Wade etc all sell mallets online. I prefer them to have a bit of weight and therefore, have one of Lignum vitae and another with a heavy round brass head. I grip the brass mallet (my favorite) around the head rather than down around the handle. This gives me more control and smoother cutting particularly in hard woods like maple. The photo below shows my friend, Josh, inletting a barrel tang using the brass mallet. FYI, he is totally blind.
UQslGct.jpg

dave

Exactly what I did. Ironwood, hickory or hard maple makes a great mallet. Also a sauerkraut masher...😉
A root can be great. Finding one in the shape you need is fairly easy. If you see a tree uprooted or a nursery taking a tree out ask them. Generally they are being hauled away.

I know that, just was asking a simple question to take a look. Just because this forum is dealing with firearms old doesn't mean a person has to make every tool and need from scratch. I don't have to have a shop with all my tools made by hand to enjoy working on a firearm or when the end result is done say "Yep, made that just like they did 200 years ago with like tools. I have thought of taking a old ball bat and reforming that, but of course that probably won't be 'old timey'! 😆
I made one of my favorite mallets out of a chunk of live oak firewood. I was camping and boredom set in, I had a hatchet, a piece of firewood, and seemingly endless time. I put several liberal coats of boiled linseed oil on it when I got home and it has a good bit of heft for its size.

Latest posts

Back