• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wonders! That's what a felt wad will do!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been having problems with my Navy Arms Zoli Buffalo Hunter. No matter what bullet I use or powder load it has been acting more like a scatter gun than a musket. With an exceptionally large bore ( .581 ) I decided to try the Maxi 580 grain made by October Country.

No success, it shot high..very high and was a 6 inch group at 50 yards......powder up.....powder down..no help...still a shotgun. I changed the front sight from .500 to ,538 to bring the group down and upon conversation with a buddy, decided on using a felt wad.

So I added a 58 cal felt wad...WOW, what a difference. First off I ran out of elevation to adjust it was shooting so low...so I decided to go ahead a group it. Below is a 3 shot clean bore 50 yard group. It is obviously flinging out that 580 grain slug at a much higher velocity.

I came home and changed out front sight for a .450 and will head back to the range tomorrow.

So I am convinced. Felt wad it is for conical, at least in my .58

58.jpeg

I've been using lubed wonder wads in all my rifles for quite a while now.

For conicals. A 58 1-48 Lyman and 54 Renegade1-28 (GM barrel) using Hornady GP bullets 525 gr and 425 gr respectively (glad I have a stash of those as 58 + 54 are NLA), and a 50 Renegade 1-28 (GM barrel) using 385gr Buffalo Bullets (also NLA). They all group great using FFg.

Avatar shows 5 shots with the 50 at 50yds, 80gr FFg. Groups good w/90gr too but that makes a much more noticeable kick and it's a "max" load.

I also believe in the wads for PRB, the above 58 and another TC with a 1-66 TC barrel. Protects the patches

Been having problems with my Navy Arms Zoli Buffalo Hunter. No matter what bullet I use or powder load it has been acting more like a scatter gun than a musket. With an exceptionally large bore ( .581 ) I decided to try the Maxi 580 grain made by October Country.

No success, it shot high..very high and was a 6 inch group at 50 yards......powder up.....powder down..no help...still a shotgun. I changed the front sight from .500 to ,538 to bring the group down and upon conversation with a buddy, decided on using a felt wad.

So I added a 58 cal felt wad...WOW, what a difference. First off I ran out of elevation to adjust it was shooting so low...so I decided to go ahead a group it. Below is a 3 shot clean bore 50 yard group. It is obviously flinging out that 580 grain slug at a much higher velocity.

I came home and changed out front sight for a .450 and will head back to the range tomorrow.

So I am convinced. Felt wad it is for conical, at least in my .58
Yep, i had the same experience with a three band Enfield, put a lube felt wad over the Powder and the group just came together. I don't know why, i don't care, i just know it worked.

Yep, i had the same experience with a three band Enfield, put a lube felt wad over the Powder and the group just came together. I don't know why, i don't care, i just know it worked.
I be thinking that it moderates and reduces the gas leak past the conical, thereby making for a more consistent load.

Felt wads worked for me in my .72 caliber. Diameter matters. In my gun the ox yoke wads were a bit too small in diameter and didn't shoot much better than without wads. Then I tried wads from Eastern Maine Shooting Supply that were a bit larger - and my groups shrunk down like yours.

Great group and I'm glad you found a solution.

I’ve never used an over powder wad with a prb. But after reading all this, I will certainly start. I’d love to see my groups improve.

I've sometimes noticed a slight increase in velocity when an op wad is used. Sometimes it's reported that accuracy will benefit from an op wad. I generally do use op wads out of habit because they've never been detrimental to a load that I could tell.

Back