• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wondering about muzzle velocity?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The very old data is in the Lyman manual but I would not trust it one bit. Reason why is I own a chronograph and there are so many different powders now many alot better than standard regular Goex, such as Goex Olde Eynsford and Swiss powders. Also as for muzzle loading shotguns the varying combinations of wads and different types of wad material and sizing can play a major factor in effecting muzzle velocity due to how they impact gas pressure. That's why I use leather and wool felt wads that I make myself and they are slightly oversized for effective sealing of the bore as best as possible. Nothing is 100% though. The old Lyman BP manual and there are some loads listed on the Goex website but they are way outdated. Best bet is to buy a chronograph. Like I said too many variables involved for a simple answer. Sorry I know you may have been looking for one.

With what load? Ball or shot? What "gauge" do you have?

I can speak for my own 20-bore. One 7/8 shot scoop of FFFg Goex and same scoop of shot = 1170 FPS. One 1-ounce shot scoop of FFFg Goex and same scoop of shot = 1114 FPS. Similarly, Pyrodex RS 7/8 scoop does 1145 FPS and 1-Ounce scoop does 1100 FPS.

With what load? Ball or shot? What "gauge" do you have?

Actually thinking about trying to work up a load with a bit more wallup for waterfowl hunting. I have 10 ga, 12 ga and 20 ga SxS Pedersoli's, and a 12 ga TC New Englander single barrel. I mostly use the 12 ga Pedersoli for my waterfowling, it has the screw in chokes. Some folks in another thread said something in passing about 1500 fps and it got me to thinking (always dangerous). When I am not using the Pedersoli at the blind my unmentionable is a 20 ga using 3inch 7/8 steel at 1500 fps that works quite effectively out to 45-50 yards. I am sure wishful thinking, but if I could pull that kind of velocity out of my Pedersoli with a 7/8 load I could use $2 a pound steel shot instead of $15 a pound Bismuth.

Trust me when I say this you will not get a 1500 FPS load from a BP shotgun and the recoil would be fierce. Honestly max would be 1200. My bismuth loads in my Pedersoli SXS 20 gauge's with 75 grains 3Fg of Olde Eynsford using my leather wads and wool felt with 1 oz of Bismuth 4's are clocking at 1149 and they kick noticable.

There are two main factors limiting muzzle velocities from a muzzleloader.
One is the vented barrel and second is the lack of resistance on ignition.
The millisecond a cartridge resists opening and then the ejecta negotiating the forcing cone really boosts pressure and of course, no vent too.
A muzzle loader has none of that.

I’ve never hunted waterfowl and understand their feathers are a might tough.
However I’ve taken a Turkey or two, a bunny here and there and a few squirrels coon and ground hogs. I use the tuna can or kipper can test.
I discovered this forum looking for how fast a .62 ball went, just curiosity as I knew it made big holes in deer.
Faster charges can ‘blow’ your pattern.
Swiss tends to be hotter then GO. Black Powder TV reported 200 fPS difference charge to charge
It was guy in back yard playing and not a hard science test, but it demonstrates the difference in powders.
Get you a penetration target and shoot it till you have the performance you want.

I cant speak of smoothbore velocity...yet. And this disclaimer, I dont hunt waterfowl. But with modern firearms, you dont need anything more than 1200fps to kill any small game land critter, just size the shot with what you are shooting. I use 7 shot for anything flying, and it works just as well on brown hoppers.

Thanks for taking the time to offer the input Gentlemen. Pretty much as I figured too. But as you might notice in my avatar, the Pedersoli does reasonably well on the waterfowl as is, just don't try to reach out too far. Thanks again.

Shooting my Pedersoli 10 I Regularly took waterfowl out to fifty yards with no problem. Now I was shooting my bismuth 4's and 2's at 1 1/2 oz but again no problem if I did my part. My average velocity from a five shot string was 1105 FPS. I was also using slightly over bore size leather OP wads and Wool Felt wads lubed in beeswax and olive oil mixture. At the end of the day it is what you put into it that counts towards what you will get out of it, or should I say what you will be getting out the end of your barrel's 😁 Good shooting gentlemen.

Latest posts

Back