• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wonder lube!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I hold my hands up, y'all did say and your right.
After some testing shooting in damp conditions the yellow stuff does not protect from salts!
I will be seeing how well it helps to light the stoves!

B :hatsoff:

As an aside.......

I know a gentleman who owns a Remington 700 ******. He bought it the year Rem brought them out in the mid 90's. He uses loose Pyrodex. He has never cleaned it. I repeat, HE HAS NEVER CLEANED IT. He runs a few patches with either Wonderlube or Borebutter down the bore and on the outside when he is done shooting. He shoots a half dozen or so shots per year. There is no rust. I don't know how he gets away it??!!

NorthFork said:
As an aside.......

I know a gentleman who owns a Remington 700 ******. He bought it the year Rem brought them out in the mid 90's. He uses loose Pyrodex. He has never cleaned it. I repeat, HE HAS NEVER CLEANED IT. He runs a few patches with either Wonderlube or Borebutter down the bore and on the outside when he is done shooting. He shoots a half dozen or so shots per year. There is no rust. I don't know how he gets away it??!!

It started out as a .54 cal , but now it’s down to a .36 cal. :rotf:

If he hasn’t had problems he will, from my expierience with loose Pyrodex it seems to burn hot and form a carbon like coating inside the bore.

Traditional cleaning with soap and warm water would not remove it from the bore.

After a few years the rifling almost was gone, and so was the accuracy .

And then?
So his gun shoot's.
In all reality what kind of effort does that take?

I'm sure the rest of his story is that he brings home trophies from the range and has harvested Elk every year since he bought the gun too.

Until you actually handle the gun that is said to have lived for more than 20yrs, shot each year multiple times, with no more cleaning than marketed miracle lubes or grease,, and is still in fine condition to win more trophies and harvest more Elk,,
,, what you are saying is "he said" :idunno:

It is easy to see why so many are put off using black powder and the origins of corrosion damage stories stem from if folk rely on these poor performing gunk products!

I've known the man for over ten years. In these past 10+ years I have seen him shoot, Borebutter patch out the firearm, and help him drag his deer out every year. I never said he killed trophy elk, deer or anything. He fires 3-5 shots at a target the day before season. Accuracy is more than good enough (3-4" CTC at 100 yards, has scope). He then fires 1-3 shots during the 5 gun seasons (including the 2 antlerless season we have here). He refuses to clean the gun with water, solvent, ANYTHING. He says so and so told him when he bought it all you had to do is swab the bore with Wonderlube/Borebutter and all was well. I've examined the firearm and surprisingly it is in good, rust free condition. I don't advocate what he does but it has worked for him. I know exactly what goes on when he hunts because we hunt the same 400 acres on the same days. This is not a 'my cousins best friends brothers uncle' type story. This is my actual observations over ten plus years. Like I said, I would not do this, but it has worked for at least one person.

Long may his good fortune continue :thumbsup:

Mine light fires now!

Only natural stuff now, surplus face and hemorrhoid cream can stay off my guns! Hmmm hemorrhoids :hmm:

B :haha:

I've been using Oxyoke 1000 plus Wonder Lube for 40 yrs w/o any rust. What I really like about it is that it stays put and doesn't collect in the lowest spots like less viscous lubes. My Hawken elk rifle sometimes sits for 2 yrs w/o a followup and is rust free and good to go elk hunting after a couple of clean patches.

Also use Wonder Lube for patch lube and the entire exterior of the rifle including the stock.

I think that if rust occurs w/ Wonder Lube, the bore wasn't really clean. All my hunting guns have bbl keys enabling the bbl to be dunked in a bucket of very hot water and when dry, the bbl is still hot and that's when the Wonder Lube is generously applied. Also use a phosphor bronze wire brush to get the fouling out of the corners of the rifling grooves. I'm very meticulous w/ my bore cleaning regimen.

Like I said....if the bbl is really clean when put away for even 2 yrs w/o a followup, no rust will be found if protected w/ Wonder Lube.....Fred

russellshaffer said:
Wrinkle removing face cream is great in smoothbores but it removes rifling.

I ran some ball a few months ago and some came out wrinkled,

Ya think that cream will work on them? :rotf:

smo said:
russellshaffer said:
Wrinkle removing face cream is great in smoothbores but it removes rifling.

I ran some ball a few months ago and some came out wrinkled,

Ya think that cream will work on them? :rotf:

That would be great. I have a few of those wrinkled balls that I cast a while back and didn't catch as I was casting. :hmm:

:eek:ff :slap:

hemorrhoid cream works GREAT on acne, tell yer teenagers!

Wonder lube? Never used it. I have used bore butter and some white greasy mess for "sealing" chambers. :shake:

[

Only natural stuff now, surplus face and hemorrhoid cream can stay off my guns! Hmmm hemorrhoids :hmm:

B :haha: [/quote]

All Natural :
3 parts Beeswax , 1 part castor oil and a table
spoon of witch hazel .
Cleans out your bore and also removes any barrel bulges .
:wink:

dodger said:
[

B :haha:

All Natural :
3 parts Beeswax , 1 part castor oil and a table
spoon of witch hazel .
Cleans out your bore and also removes any barrel bulges .
:wink:

[/quote]

:rotf:

Back