• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Women's Cloaks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Hand

Cannon
Reaction score
Does anyone have period images of clasps used on women's cloaks in the 18th and 19th centuries.

My search turned up many cloak images but very few clasps and the clasps were on websites that may not have period reproductions.

Here's an image of half a cloak clasp dated to 18th or 19th century.

Here's another dated to the last decade of the 18th century, and is the opposite side

In fact the two are sooo similar I wonder why the site doesn't suggest they go together? Perhaps they were found at different locations, or sold at different times?

It is an auction site, so they may be full of manure....the stuff could be forged, or a repro made to look old.

LD

It looks similar to this modern reproduction clasp I found for Men's military cloaks. There are a few others at the bottom of the same linked page, but 18-19th century is a very broad range (which may be good or not so good - further research is necessary).

Either way, that is a great image - thanks!

I suspect I will end up making a simple clasp from sheet brass until I find something.

I could make that without too much trouble...Thanks!

FWIW and I went to about 10 sites including the Colonial Williamsburg museum site; it seems in the 18th century that Women's Cloaks were most often secured by "tapes" and sometimes with "hooks and eyes" as well - sometimes with buttons, though they didn't explain if it was regular buttons or the "linked buttons" like those found on some 18th century shirt sleeves. It seemed like they were suggesting/saying that the fancier closures were only for the Cloaks of the wealthy?

I am no expert and please don't take that as gospel.

Gus

Does anyone have period images of clasps used on women's cloaks in the 18th and 19th centuries.

My search turned up many cloak images but very few clasps and the clasps were on websites that may not have period reproductions.
I went looking for paintings, there seems a dearth of people in cold winter ware. And women less then the men. I did see two that looked like a poor woman with a short cloak hooded but ending above her knees that looked like a hook and eye. The other a middle class dressed woman with a tie closure

Latest posts

Back