• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woe is me....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that would be frustrating. Wonder what’s going on? I shoot CCI caps and I’m not having that issue.

Somebody else mentioned that on a thread here recently. I don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure I saw it.

@Sun City is an experienced shooter. I'm wondering about the current state of quality control with that brand of caps. I've shot a bunch of CCI caps, plain and magnum, and even some of the reenactor musket caps, but all I have used are old stock.

Is there a lot number on the tin?

Notchy Bob

Somebody else mentioned that on a thread here recently. I don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure I saw it.

@Sun City is an experienced shooter. I'm wondering about the current state of quality control with that brand of caps. I've shot a bunch of CCI caps, plain and magnum, and even some of the reenactor musket caps, but all I have used are old stock.

Notchy Bob
I'm interested in that information too. While I've been able purchase a nice supply of CCI's recently, I've been using old stock #11s & #10s.

Notchy Bob
Me I think. RWS 1075 thread. Have not retested yet but most thought it is my homebrew BP issue of oomph.....

Other thought was oil residue. I lean towards my powder knowing how I clean and preserve.

One brand of caps on my .36 squirrel rifle back in the early 1970's used to occasionally block the nipple. Can't remember the details. Think we simply changed the brand of caps to fix it. There was a tiny foil used to water proof the caps causing the trouble on small cal. rifles due to inadequate back flash from the shot to clear the foil debris from the nipple.

Me I think. RWS 1075 thread. Have not retested yet but most thought it is my homebrew BP issue of oomph.....

Other thought was oil residue. I lean towards my powder knowing how I clean and preserve.
Yep... that was it! So it was a different brand of caps. Thanks!

Not sure what to make of the OP's problem.

Notchy Bob

Had that happen on occasion. Never thought much about it. I usually have a coupla very stout safety pins, small diameter drill bit, and bobby pins in my range manure bag to clean nipples, flash holes, and hold eyeglasses together. New, old stock caps kept in a drawer ought not do that.

Some of the really, really old caps I fool with often "shed" the little foil/paper priming part out of the cap entirely, leaving the little round things loose in the can and caps devoid of priming. Bored enough on occasion, I have tried pushing those tiny circular things back into empty caps. Some popped when laid on the vise & hit with a ball pein hammer. All-in-all, I'd call and see if CCI will send you some fresh caps to replace the bad ones. Can't hurt to try.

Using CCI #11 Percussion caps and I'm having to remove the nipple each time a shot is fired to clear the nipple hole!! This becomes quite frustrating!
Yeah, I had that problem too.
I never did have to take the nipple out each time, I just got a nipple pick that fit my nipple, was still a PITA!
I stopped buying them. And I won't bother buying them again,,
🥴

Back