• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Witnessed Unsafe Behaviors

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N-SSA bans blowing down the barrels after the shot. I have seen cook offs on the line as powder was poured down the barrel.
A safer method would be a piece of tubing one end in the barrel and bent away from the muzzle to blow in. Similar to the blow tubes that the Sharps shooters use in BPCR matches.

. An authority figure showing its alright to put a pistol barrel in your mouth?? Bad Bad idea. For that reason blowing down the barrel at any of our Rhondys is an absolute NO NO.
Doc,
sometimes I feel there is a dark energy that can jump into our most responsible leaders, and get them to do things otherwise they would never even think about trying. I think the Muslims call it Jin energy. this is something I am becoming more aware of as I get older, and witness good people turn bad

Small group of us pheasant hunting behind two spaniels. The birds were mostly in swales between fields of marsh hay along the Delaware Bay. The dogs were eager and it was not easy to say when they were on game or just optimistic. There was a two bird flush which took us by surprise. The shot belonged to a new guy to the group.

The birds flew to our right and circled behind us. I watched in horror as the FNG's muzzle swung in my direction and hit the dirt just as he fired. I've survived being shot at on purpose. Didn't want to be killed by accident. Walked off the field and never hunted with that guy again. Which was difficult because he was a customer.

Yeah, I guess it appears I was picking on the engineers. Maybe so, worked with them for most of my life, but you ought to hear some of my non-muzzleloader engineer stories. The examples I gave are true and I suppose they could happen to anyone I just expect more form a technically educated individual, I digress. The range incidents were not engineers, as far as I know.

Nope, I'm not an engineer and I do blow down my barrel between shots to extinguish any possible ember before dumping a fresh load of powder down the bore.
50 years ago when I was taught to shoot muzzleloader, I was told to blow down muzzle to insure that nipple is clear before loading next shot. 30 years later at Instructors training , I was told that old timers blew down the barrel to extinguish any remaining embers not to make sure nipple passage was clear.

I was once at the range shooting some cap and ball revolvers, and there was another fella doing the same next to me. While I was shooting my own revolver, I heard one cap go off but no discharge from his gun; I didn't think much of it, the shooter waited an appropriate amount of time and then fired off the rest of his shots while I was doing the same.

Pretty soon he was back at the line, and this time I was in the midst of reloading and thus more acutely aware of what he was doing since his spot was not far from me. I hastily made sure all my powder was covered up and moved it away from him and waited for him to finish what he was doing before continuing, and sure enough he pops the cap and once again nothing happens. But rather than keeping the gun pointed down range, he immediately looked straight down the bore. Not sure what he was hoping to find out by doing that, but thankfully he didn't find out about hangfires the hard way. That was the end of my range day...

50 years ago when I was taught to shoot muzzleloader, I was told to blow down muzzle to insure that nipple is clear before loading next shot. 30 years later at Instructors training , I was told that old timers blew down the barrel to extinguish any remaining embers not to make sure nipple passage was clear.

Interesting . . . . .

Years ago, I was told the reason for blowing down the barrel was to keep the fouling moist and soft . . . .nothing to do with “clearing nipples or extinguishing embers.”

Unintentional discharges and close calls and accidents should scare ya. I belong to several BP ml clubs and one says no blowing down the muzzle. Maybe it comes from their adherence to NMLRA rules. Someone says this is probably from their lawyers who advise them as they offer insurance plans. One of the ten commandments of firearms safety is to treat every firearm as if it were loaded. Would one put one's mouth or face over the muzzle of a loaded firearm? A novice or newbie seeing other shooters blow down their muzzles might think this is o.k. and common practice to place one's mouth over the muzzle. We always blew down our muzzles in the 70's to soften fouling and extinguish glowing embers. The anal for safety club says no blowing into a hose stuck down the muzzle, either. I use a fouling scraper, damp patch and a balloon inflating pump into the touch hole or nipple to blow out any possible ember. We've had members jump ship and join other clubs over this no blowing down the muzzle insistence . It was pointed out that in group volleys or re enactments that a shooter may not be aware whether his or her weapon was discharged. Most shooters know when their rifle was shot and is empty. At a state wide match a shooter's rifle discharged while loading and luckily he didn't lose any fingers or use of hand. I suspect superheated fouling in the breech area. To this day we haven't determined the cause of it.

Why do BPCR (Black Powder Cartridge Rifle) shooters blow down the barrels of their rifles, albeit with blow tubes? (Hint, it has nothing to do with embers)

When you answer that question you will also know why some muzzleloaders do it.

Just as some people shoot themselves with modern guns while cleaning etc. there are some people who should not handle muzzleloaders either.

I was at a public range near Cape Girardeau, MO, shooting a cap and ball revolver. A man slightly older than me (65-ish) walks over and scolds me for "loading on the firing line". He is a real "expert" and says he builds custom muzzleloaders for a living. He did indeed have a very nice .62 caliber, full stock, flint rifle. Anyways. I ignore him, because he is an idiot, and many signs clearly say "Loading at the firing line only". He walks off disgruntled and mumbling, buy continues doing his thing, loading directly behind me at a cleaning bench. Several minutes later I hear a KABOOM! five yards behind me, and I am engulfed in a cloud of smoke. He loaded and primed, and as he walked to the firing line, tripped and fell. Don't know how much the ball missed me by, but I felt the shock wave. Experts. Another guy shot a hole in my tailgate trying to lower the hammer on a lever action, in the parking lot. I was standing by the driver side wheel well, and that bullet was bouncing around the bed. Another self proclaimed expert, who just minutes before was inspecting my guns, without permission, on the shooting bench while I changed targets.

while I do blow down the barrel, its NOT for the reasons given here, when I was a kid, an old timer showing me the ropes explained, it was to soften the fouling with the moisture in my breath, making it easier to ram the next ball home. something that was reinforced when I started shooting BPCR in my Sharps and was told I needed a blow tube to keep the fowling soft, basically an empty case with a tube attached at the primer hole that's inserted into the chamber after each shot and you blow into the tubing. as far as embers are concerned, I tilt the muzzle away from me when I pour the powder from my measure and keep my hands clear, JUST in case the charge ignites from an ember, however in the 100s and 100s of pounds of powder I have shot, I have never had a charge ignite from an ember

Very Kind of you to answer. I always had the habit of blowing down the barrel also and was kindly reprehended on the firing line as of late. Been a few years since I shot out with other on a range. I guess it kind a makes sense to not have the muzzle of your gun in your mouth. But I found it kind of comforting to blow the hole clear on my flint after a good shot , like giving her a little kiss., relishing the mushroom cloud escaping like Gandalf smoking a pipe. I kind of feel we all need a good blow job now and then. Yes but safety first. Cheers

On a particularly pleasant saturday afternoon, hence, a particularly busy day at the gun club, several of us were at the 65 yard range shooting various assorted weaponry. I was taking a break from shooting and talking to another member. The gent at the bench in front and over one, loaded and tried to fire a percussion rifle. It went CLICK, not BANG, and he immediately took the rifle off it's rest and laid it on the bench, perpendicular to himself, muzzle facing to his left. I saw it but my brain took it's time to fully comprehend the matter. The man I was talking to started screaming at this guy to get it pointed down range. He was stunned and asked what the problem was. I regained my composure and explained it to him in a not too quiet tone. The guy shooting on his left hurriedly grabbed his stuff, open boxes and all, and just left. We told the man he was extremely lucky that day.

Other than that, I have not seen any mishaps with BP guns. A couple with smokeless powder guns though. It'll wake you up!

I would like to see the forum offer a BP safety course online. Take one of our certified
NMLRA or NRA instructors and put together a basic, and later an advanced course.
Give a patch or decal. Many courses available but I think none address travelling and
hunting with BP. It would show the forum's dedication to safety and help the new
shooter,and review the basics for the older shooter. If in video, put on youtube or
Rumble. Maybe let other video shows know and game departments. Extra revenue for
the forum. Also safety updates lead back to forum. Just an idea.

I always thought it was interesting that Markland's Pteryplegia: or The Art of Shooting-Flying (1767) had a rather graphic warning about putting one's mouth on the muzzle:

"The tender Reas'ner, curious to know, Whether the Piece were really charg'd, or no,
With Mouth to Mouth apply'd, began to Blow. A dreadful Kiss !
For now the silent Bane Had bor'd a Passage thro' the whizzing Train,
The Shot all rent his Skull, and dash'd around his Brain !"

I used to blow down the muzzle when I started shooting muzzleloaders years ago; but got out of what truly is a bad habit. I don't complain about people who continue the practice; it's ones own choice--but not one I encourage with new shooters I am introducing to the sport.

"The tender Reas'ner, curious to know, Whether the Piece were really charg'd, or no,
With Mouth to Mouth apply'd, began to Blow. A dreadful Kiss !
For now the silent Bane Had bor'd a Passage thro' the whizzing Train,
The Shot all rent his Skull, and dash'd around his Brain !"

Though I've never previously encountered this poem (or read 'Pteryplegia', though I've certainly heard of it), the word picture the poet paints is exactly what flashed through my mind while watching the incident I reported earlier. I'm sure others who were present at the time, whether they'd ever seen the results of such a shot or not, had much the same reaction, and I'm pretty sure the lady shooter still does, when she remembers it. She hasn't been active with the club since, so far as I am aware, and I think that is regrettable, if understandable.

mhb - MIke

Yeah, I guess it appears I was picking on the engineers. Maybe so, worked with them for most of my life, but you ought to hear some of my non-muzzleloader engineer stories. The examples I gave are true and I suppose they could happen to anyone I just expect more form a technically educated individual, I digress. The range incidents were not engineers, as far as I know.

Nope, I'm not an engineer and I do blow down my barrel between shots to extinguish any possible ember before dumping a fresh load of powder down the bore.
I AM an engineer and just happen to know what an "Automatic Screw Machine" is. And why it almost invariably machines 12L14 bar.

I saw a kid blow up a nice original 1861 Springfield at a Civil War reenactment. Blank round but made with modern smokeless powder. The kid needed stitches on his left hand and blew out an eardrum so not too bad. Thank goodness. The original Springfield was reduced to some usable parts. I still shed a tear....when I think of the original Springfield!

Blowing down the barrel after a shot. That practice never appealed to me very much. In stead of doing that, I have a piece of clear tubing that forms a tight enough seal with a little finger pressure on the percussion nipple that I can blow through the tube and watch for smoke coming out the barrel. That way I am relatively sure the nipple isn't plugged nor is the charge chamber. It works for me. Man, I hate hang fires. I've never had one go off on me even after 5 minutes but I still take the time. My oopsies are pushing home the patched ball and realizing I forgot the powder. When that happens, I remove the screw from the drum, trickle powder through the hole, replace the screw and "pop" it out of the barrel. I must have done a credible job at least once because the ball hit the target not far out of the grouping. 😲

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back