• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

With No Goex, will this work ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAC1967

40 Cal
Reaction score
This is not another Goex plant closure post . . .BUT if there is no BP ... does anyone know if 4f in the pan will shoot Pyrodex in the barrel of a Flintlock ? (I've never had a reason to try this combo, but may have to out of necessity some day. I have shot Pyrodex in a percusssion but only have flinters now, but still have some pyrodex. )

As the last poster said you have to use a small amount of real black loaded first to get reliable ignition of pyrodex in a flintlock. With the small booster charge of black loaded before the pyrodex and black in the pan it will work. Just using black in the pan isn't enough by itself. I have tried it in the past and it worked

As the last poster said you have to use a small amount of real black loaded first to get reliable ignition of pyrodex in a flintlock. With the small booster charge of black loaded before the pyrodex and black in the pan it will work. Just using black in the pan isn't enough by itself. I have tried it in the past and it worked
Thank you . . I hope I don't get to that point . . But it's helpful to know this info to make Pyrodex work in a flinter.

This is not another Goex plant closure post . . .BUT if there is no BP ... does anyone know if 4f in the pan will shoot Pyrodex in the barrel of a Flintlock ? (I've never had a reason to try this combo, but may have to out of necessity some day. I have shot Pyrodex in a percusssion but only have flinters now, but still have some pyrodex. )
Short answer is: no. Don't give up on bp. Scheutzen is still shipping.

Pyrodex in a flinter is a proverbial gripe to use.
That said, I did hear that shutzen (I know I am misspelling it) has a large batch heading to the conus and that they are going to ramp up production.

In saying that. With a pricked vent, pyrodex and after loading prime with 4f after removing the prick some 4f should migrate into the flash hole.
It would make for a good test.

Attachments

• Swiss black powder.JPG
    Swiss black powder.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 43
remember gents, Hodgdon also makes pyrodex. we may lose it also. learn to make your own bp.
if you can char wood, and have the means weigh components , even a cave man can do it safely.
that will be allright with me.

Latest posts

Back