• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wish you had a loading bench when none is available??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I love my range time with the old flintlock, Sparkboom. In my early years we most always shot out of the pouch. I can do it pretty well, but it sure is easier if ya have something to lean the rifle against. I went to Home Depot and purchase some 3/4" dowel and a chunk of thin plywood for the top tray. I had some wood laying around for the top base and drilled three angle holes in it. The The dowels are tapered on both ends. Bottom end is sharp for firm ground tripod placement. The top end is tapered just enough to make the dowel snug, but easily removable. I wanted light for carry and something that will not be a storage problem at home. At photo I hadn't trimmed down the screw ends on the right side of the tray
Flintlocklar:p

IMG_1708.jpeg
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_1707.jpeg

You need a piece of carpet or something for the rifle butt to sit on. It will eventually work it's way into the ground, that and the moisture not good for the butt end.
One the size of the tray bottom should work nicely and give you a place to store it.

I just use my tailgate. Under the towel is a piece of plywood that locks between the tailgate and bed and it's got 3 "V's" cut into the front.
Very good idea, thanks for sharing. That would for sure work for me better than my little stand.......but the owner of the land I shoot at says no vehicles when ground is wet.
Flintlocklar

Very good idea, thanks for sharing. That would for sure work for me better than my little stand.......but the owner of the land I shoot at says no vehicles when ground is wet.
Flintlocklar
I completely understand your landowner's position. There is a low spot to traverse just before my range and I can't go around it due to fence and woods. When it's too wet my truck hangs up and I have to hike back to the house and get the tractor. Traffic only makes it worse.
I can of course case a rifle, throw on the bag and horn, and ride the tractor back there.

Hey guys, I love my range time with the old flintlock, Sparkboom. In my early years we most always shot out of the pouch. I can do it pretty well, but it sure is easier if ya have something to lean the rifle against. I went to Home Depot and purchase some 3/4" dowel and a chunk of thin plywood for the top tray. I had some wood laying around for the top base and drilled three angle holes in it. The The dowels are tapered on both ends. Bottom end is sharp for firm ground tripod placement. The top end is tapered just enough to make the dowel snug, but easily removable. I wanted light for carry and something that will not be a storage problem at home. At photo I hadn't trimmed down the screw ends on the right side of the tray
Flintlocklar:p

View attachment 14134 View attachment 14135 View attachment 14136

I like that a lot. Very nicely done.

You need a piece of carpet or something for the rifle butt to sit on. It will eventually work it's way into the ground, that and the moisture not good for the butt end.
One the size of the tray bottom should work nicely and give you a place to store it.
I use a carpet sample square on the concrete deck of our club's covered range. The rest of the time I use a thin rubber automotive floor mat that folds up real nice and neat. Good to have around for many uses, so, one in the range bag, one I the modern hunting pack, and just the wish for one in the period hunting and scouting gear.

Here is what I use for a highly portable loading table. The 5 sided box is made with unbreakable plastic. The sides are held together with high strength Velcro so it can be taken apart and put under the foam in a hard gun case. The box is held to the tripod by straps. Keeps me fairly light weight. Somewhat water proof, wind proof and simple with my loading table incorporated into my spotting scope tripod. Cuts out for the rifle and range rod. With a top on the box, it adds to the space available for putting stuff.

Fleener
P1020098.JPG
c

I shoot off the tailgate of my truck. Have a 1"X6" 12" board that I cut a U shape notch into and lined the notch with some thick cloth. Clamp the board to the end of the tailgate and use a rubber like thing placed on the ground for the butt of the rifle. Easy and simple to make and use. I'm kind of a minimal guy.

Here is what I use for a highly portable loading table. The 5 sided box is made with unbreakable plastic. The sides are held together with high strength Velcro so it can be taken apart and put under the foam in a hard gun case. The box is held to the tripod by straps. Keeps me fairly light weight. Somewhat water proof, wind proof and simple with my loading table incorporated into my spotting scope tripod. Cuts out for the rifle and range rod. With a top on the box, it adds to the space available for putting stuff.

Fleener
View attachment 14204c

You're being factious right!?!?

Blogman

Nope, most certainly not. I have used it quite a bit. It works great, I am very happy with it.

I am a long range ML shooter and this is what I take to matches with me. If I would of went to England and been shooting this week in the World Matches, it would of been packed in my hard gun case.

It is very stable and I really like a standing scope so I can see the scoring marker and bullet marker. Lets me think about what if any sight adjustments I want to make while I am loading.

Fleener

Latest posts

Back