• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wire inlay tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigShow

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and know nothing of building muzzleloaders. I am also no expert on wire inlay. So I am not claiming this is the best way to do it, this is just the tools I have made to do it. Firstly I got a few xacto knives and cut them down, maybe by half but it’s whatever feels good to you. Then I used my drill press to bore a hole in some golf balls. You could turn handles or use a dowel, whatever works for you. I epoxied the xacto handles into the golf ball holes. The secret, if there is one, is to save your used up blades, then use a grinder like on a rotary tool to get the shape that fits what you are doing. You must be careful not to overheat the blades and loose the temper. I shape some wider ones (size is relative) for straights and the tighter the curve the narrow the blade is needed.
3710BA2A-412D-450E-A358-E5C68EE67F20.jpeg
C18FEE2E-FA66-4C47-AC3A-D0A43E066EE3.jpeg

You use a stabbing motion to make each cut. And you have to overlap the cuts or you will never get the wire in. I’ve only done a few projects and don’t have many pictures, but one is a practice piece for a knife I’m working on, and the other is one I finished for a friend. It was a kitchen knife that she inherited from her mother and it was so old and so used up the original scales were rotting off. I was just supposed to rehandle it but I put her name on one side and her mothers on the other. In time her daughter may inherit the knife. I like to think it will be around for another, well, long time anyway. Maybe in 50 years someone will put on new scales with more names on it.
6B650C5A-1FEC-4EE9-BFFC-1A77B74579F7.jpeg
A8472068-FA62-4D7D-9374-AD0D2F3D3A4C.jpeg
C5953478-9A8E-49E4-954E-CE9F5B255B11.jpeg

Hi,
Those look like nice tools. I originally made some quite similar but using wooden balls. I changed to a smaller cylindrical handle because the ball obscured my view of the tip. Another tool worth making is a little "nudge". This is a very small flat screw driver on which the flat blade is ground round. After tapping in the wire, you can use the "nudge" to push the wire making your curves smoother and cleaner. Then you wet the wood to lock the wire in place and file flush. Critical to good wire inlay are clear smooth designs drawn on the wood.
LhgQMJi.jpg

Also, use as thin ribbon as you can get. I use sheet silver and brass that is no thicker than 0.006". It is easy to cut from sheet. Just scribe a line and cut along it with heavy shears. The metal will curl as you cut. Simply take 2 coarse files and pinch the ribbon between them, using pliers pull the wire through the files and it will be straight. It will also be scored on the sides, which helps lock it into the wood. If you want more thickness in places, just add additional strips of wire alongside.

dave

That’s very nice work. I’ll have to make your nudge. Thanks for the tip.

Dave, if you have already tapped the wire into the groove, why is the nudge needed? Or is it for "nudging" the wire so it is vertical in the groove? Dan
Hi,
There is always a little play in the wire and incised line. Keep in mind, your groove or line should be wider than the wire ribbon so the wire goes in easily. If you have to tap or push the wire in hard to get it in the line, your incising is too narrow or use thinner wire. Most guys use wire that is too thick. It is the swelling of the wood that locks the wire in not a tight fit in the groove.

dave

Back