• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wire inlay hunter's star?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceannt

32 Cal
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done a hunter's star with only wire inlay? Or even seen one, for that matter?
I'm thinking it would be much less glaring than the typical brass inlay, for a relatively simple long rifle.

Try it on a piece of scrap wood.

1. You'll determine if you like it.
2. You'll figure out what to do and not do when you get to your rifle.
3. Your backup plan can be inlet a solid star over the wire inlay carvings if you end up botching the job.

I was thinking of doing exactly that. I have a piece of scrap cherry around somewhere...
I was just wondering if anybody else ever had the same idea.
The rifle project is a few months out, but I like to have everything planned out well in advance.

Wire inlay isn't as hard as it looks. Make a couple of cutting chisels out of Hack saw blades 3 mm to 5 mm wide. The hacksaw pieces should be 3" long and are to be tapped with a light ball peen hammer. To draw the outline of the wire inlay insertion , make a brass sheet metal inlay and draw around it with a #4 hard lead pencil , then start with the hacksaw chisels and ball peen. Once the outline trench is cut , slightly deeper than the width of the inlay ribbon, begin gently inserting the wire inlay into the trench using a Small ball peen hammer. Shape the wire as you go. I put epoxie in the trench as I go , and continue the insertion with glue. I prefer putting brown dye in the epoxie , so the trench with the wire are one. There are a couple how to do it books , showing how folks do wire inlay. Nothing is written in stone.

I cut the Wire from the brass I used for inlets .cut into strips and hammered into the groves I cut with very narrow chisals some made from old hack saw blades then wetted to swell wood . after drying I sanded filed to shape .The stars are made from brass rod and hammered into drilled holes
DSC03291 (2).JPG
tys flinter9.JPG
tys gift flinter4.JPG
DSC03288 (2).JPG

Here's one I did as an expirement with a Jaeger....note to self...anneal the brass before inlaying.

Attachments

• IMG_20171030_100444_045 (1).jpg
    IMG_20171030_100444_045 (1).jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 0
Using thin silver wire the parts catalogs sell, try it in walnut wood. Works like a dream. , cuts easily , and wire can be inserted easily. Don't forget to anchor the wire in with dark stained epoxie.

Back