• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wire inlay edge sharpening.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhinoDave

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Curious to know how the experts sharpen the edge of their wire before use. In the past I've just cut a slight indent along the edge of some scrap hardwood and used a jewelers file to sharpen the edge. This does take some time. Just wondering if there is an easier method.

I don't bother to sharpen the edge of the ribbon.
I can't see that it serves any purpose because the groove that the ribbon fits into is already incised by the piercing tool.

I do bother to form many little grooves along both sides of the ribbon though.

These little grooves running from one end of the ribbon to the other, become trapped by the wood when the wood is wetted and its grain tries to return to its former position.

To form the little grooves on the ribbon I wear a pair of leather gloves to keep from cutting myself.

I then hold a very fine toothed file so that the ribbon will pass over the edges where the file faces meet.

Laying one end of the ribbon over the corner of the file and pressing the ribbon against the corner with my gloved thumb, I pull the remainder of the ribbon over the edge of the file with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Once one end is pulled thru, I reverse the ribbon and repeat the process on the other side.

After the wetted wood dries, the grooves on the ribbon and wood grain lock the ribbon in place.
No glue is needed.

Hi,
I don't sharpen the edge. There is no need because you are not hammering the wire in place. It should slip easily into the incised groove. Water and finish will swell the wood and lock it into place. One trick is to squeeze the wire ribbon between 2 coarse files and pull it through to create scratches along the length of the wire. Those scratches may help anchor it better when the wood is swelled.

dave

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to my post. I guess I just followed the directions I got from Dixie Gun works way back in the day when I first tried this(81). I'll do it the way you have suggested to see how it works for me. Thanks again.

Back