• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wiping barrel between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I've been experimenting and getting re-acquainted with my T/C .50-cal. Renegade for about 4 months now at an outdoor range, I had been wiping my barrel between patched roundball target shots using Goex ff, mostly with bore butter. However, after reading a lot of posts here, I decided to try my own experimentation for an after-every-shot bore swab. My last range session I used an equal mixture of 70% Isopropyl alcohol, Murphy's Soap Oil and Castor oil. It's a fairly thick and gooey mixture, and it seems to have worked quite well, because my last grouping at 50 yards using .490 Hornady round balls and .018 ticking patches lubed in TOW mink oil was the best I've had. Four balls in the center within one inch of each other. It might have been five but I dry-balled the fifth and left the range early to pull it (that's on another post, with mixed pulling results). Anyway, I poured my concoction into a small glass Civil War-era pill bottle with a cork stopper, and the mixture was fairly thick and mixed well and soaked into pre-cut patches I kept in an old Sucrets tin. I'll probably experiment some more, using a bit more alcohol, but I was impressed with my results on the very first go-round. Anyone else use a mixture of alcohol-Murphy's-castor oil before, or a variation of it? I'm curious. I'm sure there are hundreds of different successful concoctions out in BP land you have used. :pop:

I use Dutch's moose milk, except with Murphy's Oil Soap in place of the pine-sol he suggests.

It is not thick, nice and thin. I keep it in a small squirt bottle for range work, but I am not trying to look old-timey at the range.

Pop a dry wiping patch in my mouth,, make it wet, use it, done.
Always available, no special mixture, no special container.

necchi said:
Pop a dry wiping patch in my mouth,, make it wet, use it, done.
Always available, no special mixture, no special container.

+1. I use spit patch so I don't need to run a swab between shots. I can shoot all day. On the occasion that I don't use spit if I see a need, I run a spit patch down the bore as a swab.

Using either mink oil (hunting) or Hoppes #9 BP Lube (range) I find I can shoot until I get tired without wiping the bore. I patch with cotton canvas duck [.022"] or occasionally .020" mattress ticking. These loads are rather tight and keep the bore from collecting fouling.

Wiping between shots is a common subject of cussin' and discussion here and at the campfire. Some do between every shot, some don't. Some seem to believe they will get a special spot in heaven for never wiping the bore between shots. I wipe between every shot, even when hunting. I do this because a very wise, competition winning champion, pointed out to me that without wiping I was, essentially, using a different barrel for every shot. Once wiping becomes part of your reloading routine it is not a big deal. I spit dampen (just damp, not soak) a flannel cotton patch for my wiping. Usually two strokes, once with each side of the patch. Works for me. Personally, I wouldn't recommend any concoction of any kind for between shot swabbing. Spit works and the price is right.

Rifleman1776 said:
Wiping between shots is a common subject of cussin' and discussion here and at the campfire. Some do between every shot, some don't. Some seem to believe they will get a special spot in heaven for never wiping the bore between shots. I wipe between every shot, even when hunting. I do this because a very wise, competition winning champion, pointed out to me that without wiping I was, essentially, using a different barrel for every shot. Once wiping becomes part of your reloading routine it is not a big deal. I spit dampen (just damp, not soak) a flannel cotton patch for my wiping. Usually two strokes, once with each side of the patch. Works for me. Personally, I wouldn't recommend any concoction of any kind for between shot swabbing. Spit works and the price is right.
I do the same and for the same reason plus my club requires you to swab after every shot. I have no issues with that :v .

I swab between shots because if I don't, the accuracy of my next shot is never as good. I tried not swabbing about two months ago, did a five-shot target without between-shots swab, and then a five-shot target with swabbing and there was no comparison. Swabbing made my patched balls much more accurate. Now, if I'm shooting conicals, I really don't notice any difference. But, since I don't deer hunt anymore, the conicals are left in my ammo can, and it's PRBs for me now.

Latest posts

Back