• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Winter project.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Drove down to Union City, Tennessee today and picked up Pedersoli Pennsylvania flintlock kit in .32. I haven't been down to the store in a long time but it was just as nice as I remembered it.

It's been a while since I have done a kit but have had some experience in rebuilding a few in the last couple of years so this shouldn't be a big deal. I realize this is far from a scratch build but it will be fun to do. I have done 4 kit guns in the past. 1 flint rifle and 1 c&b rifle both in .54 cal. 1 .44 Navy revolver and 1 flint pistol in .44.

I delt with a real nice lady named Sherry while there. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Told me she had been there over 40 years. Will definitely do business there again. Just hope all the guns I slobbered on don't rust up too bad.

Got the barrel browned and the brass polished to a Matt finish. Thinking about using a blackening solution on the brass. Anybody have any pictures of blackened brass on their rifle? Also need opinions on finish on the stock. Thinking tung oil or linseed oil. I don't want to use any stain on it. I have to lay off of the rifle for a while while the wife forces me to take her on a vacation for a week or so.

Don't bother spending money on a blackening solution. You can make your own simply by rubbing down the brass with a dirty cleaning patch or two after you've cleaned the bore.

Don't bother spending money on a blackening solution. You can make your own simply by rubbing down the brass with a dirty cleaning patch or two after you've cleaned the bore.
Or don’t try to rush it. After a few weekends popping a few shots brass will start to color nicely.
Back in the day a privates life was made up practicing marching, gun drill, policing grounds and polishing the brass on his gun. Brass tarnishes in use pretty quick.

Got back from vacation Saturday and back on my project. I got the stock shaved and sanded. Dampened and sanded with 600 paper 8 times to remove any whiskers and put the first coat of boiled linseed oil thinned with 2 parts thinner and 1 part linseed oil. Looks real good right now. I will let it dry 24 hours before I give it another coat. Don't know yet how many coats I will give it. I guess I will give it coats till I like the way it looks. I ordered a new front sight for it today. Original was too thick for me

Back