• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winter Project 2021

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We're off and running on a new build. This will be a .54 Isaac Haines pattern. I'm delighted with the stock from Pecatonica. There is plenty of meat left in critical areas to permit a perfect fit. First experience with a Rice swamped barrel and it looks like a dandy. Just finished draw filing it. Now the fun begins.

1611171904965.png

Rice barrels are awesome. Very little finishing work to be done on them for the most part. With most of their barrels you can hit the flats with some 220 wrapped around a mill file and you’re done. This is very much unlike some barrels in which you could go into the steel wool business after draw filing them. Jason is also awesome to talk with on the phone and do business with.

Best Regards,

Web thickness is critical to a slim looking LR build. Most 3rd party inletters leave them on the thick side, around 1/4". A C-weight barrel is pretty thick to start with, so any excess thickness in the web will make for a "heavy" looking gun. With the lock already inlet you won't be able to move that downwards, but TH's are remarkably forgiving when it comes to location. If need be, with most pans, you CAN deepen them if you need to to give yourself adequate space in there to have enough powder to prime it. That's for later though.

Out of the five builds to date, the barrel channel on this Pecatonica stock is the best I've seen. It's been cut perfectly for the contour of the swamped barrel with an equal amount of wood left on either side. It was only necessary to remove a couple of thousandths to get a nice snug fit. The full stock Hawken from TOW was warped and thick on one side and so thin on the other I was unsure if I would be able to finish it properly.

Do you see the flat area on the tang back of the barrel? That's the breech hump that gets so much talk here. File and level the wood and the tang simultaneously to get rid of it.

Update - 3/1

Things are progressing nicely. The lock, side plate, trigger, trigger guard and butt plate have been fitted and screws fitted and aligned. The barrel lugs and vent have been installed. The barrel, lock, trigger plate and screws have been browned.

The recommended location for the forward trigger guard cross pin is through the lock mortise molding and I found this location unappealing. By splicing a bit of cut off sprue to the trigger guard lug to increase its length, I am now able to hide the pin inside the lock mortise and under the side plate on the off side. When cut to final length the hidden pin will lie flush with the lock mortise wall and side plate inlet surface. This arrangement will give me a cleaner, more satisfying look.

1614617846578.png

We're off and running on a new build. This will be a .54 Isaac Haines pattern. I'm delighted with the stock from Pecatonica. There is plenty of meat left in critical areas to permit a perfect fit. First experience with a Rice swamped barrel and it looks like a dandy. Just finished draw filing it. Now the fun begins.

View attachment 59482
I have two Rice swamped barrels and they are top notch! Hope you have the Rice octagon barrel vice jaws too. If you don't they are most helpful!

Tang that I bent & shaped. No hump.

Attachments

• 20210302_144213.jpg
    20210302_144213.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210302_144204.jpg
    20210302_144204.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210302_144258.jpg
    20210302_144258.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 82
I am enter the 5th month of work on the Isaac Haines. All the parts have been fitted and now getting to the relief carving, inlay and sliding patch box. Given our current advantages of available locks, stocks and barrels etc. I'm wondering how the old time gunsmiths managed to make a living at this....

Back