• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Winchester "Trade Knife"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winchester was in knife production from 1919-1940s. They made knives in this style. The example in this catalog page is with a higher grade handle. Has the same markings, has the same groove along the back edge. If you google winchester antique butcher knife, you'll find several examples similar to yours. Drop the word "antique" and no modern manufactured ones in that style come up.

The blade on yours looks to be as weathered as those original, pinned-handle Green River knives you have above.

Honestly, I believe you have a genuine original. It's a great item, my comment about being out of place was only directed at the Winchester branding on the blade, but looking again the marking is worn such that isn't too obvious.
vintage-winchester-store-1033_1_0cc529fbdc99b16f49ba952001586ccf.jpg

Yes I e heard of them , they’re more inline with the Old Hickory brand if memory serves me correctly...

Still a good good butcher knife..

Thank you very much, jb67! Your comments and the illustration are greatly appreciated. I believe that knife is the same one illustrated by M.H. Cole in his book, The Skinning Knife:

M.H. Cole.JPG

I apologize for the terrible focus. Anyway, I think this illustrates the same knife as in your catalog picture, and you may very well be right. The one thing that makes me believe mine might be a later production is the "Made In USA" addition to the trademark. Goins Encyclopedia indicated this feature came later. The fine print under the "Winchester" lettering in the trademark, both in the catalog image and the one in the Cole book, just says "Trade Mark." The "Made in USA" wording, as on my knife, is not there. I sent an inquiry to Blue Grass Cutlery, the likeliest candidate for late 20th century production, to see if they can verify this. No response to date, and I'm not optimistic, but we'll see.

Minor details like this can make a difference in accurate dating.

I've done a couple of searches, including with the specific keywords you suggested. The results were very informative. The only knife I found exactly like mine, with the pin fastened handle, actually is mine... The seller evidently listed it on Etsy as well as Ebay, and Etsy is not good about removing sold items from their listings.

In any event, I appreciate all of the good input. It is an interesting artifact, and a pretty handy knife. I don't think it's to valuable to use. I expect I'll sharpen it up, make a sheath, and put it to work.

Much obliged,

Notchy Bob

Yes I e heard of them , they’re more inline with the Old Hickory brand if memory serves me correctly...

Still a good good butcher knife..
you are wright, I forgot about the OLD HICKORY BRAND?

Back