• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winchester response, Percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've ever seen just too many Winchester caps on display at least not down here anyway. They don't seem to be that popular an item.

I can't say that I have ever tried them. I wasn't aware that Winchester even made caps. That's how scarce they are down here is what I meant to say.

Now not to burst your prep but.......seeing a little hole in inventory on number of flints and pounds of lead, number of roundball. But that could just be an oversight in your posting. Interesting as we get older we take inventory just in case. Pretty well planned and prepped but as most of us in the city i would say we lack long term quantity of food. Those outside in rural area have that much more covered than us city folk. But then this is a thread on cost of caps......sorry.

I have around 1,400 pounds of lead and hundreds of round balls and conicals cast already. I have bullet molds for most of the calibers I shoot. Multiple molds actually. I have 26 bullet molds I believe. ...EDITED..., Also 40 pounds of black powder. ...EDITED...

.... EDITED....

As to flints I do not have any right now. But you can bet I will have several before my new FL rifle gets here. At least they will be on order. Plus I have knapped working flints in the past and have the Georgetown Flint vein just south of me about 100 miles away. Flint free for the taking.

So do I pass muster? Aren't you glad you asked?

Last edited:
I have around 1,400 pounds of lead and hundreds of round balls and conicals cast already. I have bullet molds for most of the calibers I shoot. Multiple molds actually. I have 26 bullet molds I believe. ...EDITED..., Also 40 pounds of black powder. ...EDITED...

.... EDITED....

As to flints I do not have any right now. But you can bet I will have several before my new FL rifle gets here. At least they will be on order. Plus I have knapped working flints in the past and have the Georgetown Flint vein just south of me about 100 miles away. Flint free for the taking.

If someone here is already mad that I might have 800 caps instead of 500, they’re definitely gonna love you lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have around 1,400 pounds of lead and hundreds of round balls and conicals cast already. I have bullet molds for most of the calibers I shoot. Multiple molds actually. I have 26 bullet molds I believe. I reload for all I shoot except for 25acp. I have 23,000+ primers of all sizes, hundreds to thousands of cases and around 50+ pounds of smokeless powder. Also 40 pounds of black powder. Thousands of jacketed rifle and pistol bullets. Around 24,000 22lr rounds and 5,500 22 mag rounds. Thousands of 223 and 7.62x39 on hand along with several rifles to shoot them.

Also I am a prepper and post a lot over on Survivalist Boards forum with the user name of Hatchet Jack. Guess where the name came from? I have many months worth of food on hand now. Not as much as some on that forum but enough for at least half a year. And we have just added a second food pantry and I have Mylar bags and a Mason jar vacuum pump on order so I can add more dry goods to the new pantry and new food buckets.

it isnt my thread to say , but you got alot more than me, heck ive got half a years worth of ramen ,dry potato flakes, jerky and canned vegtables . an air rifle battery op compressor
a deep cell solar charge station with inverter, to charge my compresser and keep the air gun running and spitting lead. no powder needed. .357cal 200gr reload bullets fly at 920fps and can take down anything in this country , animal wise.
got a welding striker to start fires with, and 4 windmills in boxes with all the wire and connectors to attach to my deep cell system if i need kilowats. but i still think you got more. smiles,
If someone here is already mad that I might have 800 caps instead of 500, they’re definitely gonna love you lol!

it isnt my thread to say , but you got alot more than me, heck ive got half a years worth of ramen ,dry potato flakes, jerky and canned vegtables . an air rifle battery op compressor

Its just a matter of buying when you see it. I have been stocking up for a long time. I probably should have gotten a job as a purchasing agent. But you have a good start. Just keep stocking. I understand you can't stock when its not on the shelves to buy. And I do feel for those looking for caps, powder balls or anything else. Especially the new guys who are wanting to shoot their smoke poles.

I have been through several ammo shortages and ammo runs but I have to say this one seems to be the worst one so far. But I am guessing like all other shortages it will end. I remember in 2018 when Trump was in office Midway USA was begging people to buy primers and making offers like free shipping and no HazMat if you bought a case of primers. I guess some got complacent and didn't buy when they should have bought like crazy.

To bring this back to the original topic of Winchester branded caps, I honestly never saw that many locally even when they were in full production. I have a couple of tins that I bought off the rack at Dixie Gun Works, and I seem to remember getting a tin at Rural King many years ago, but those were exceptions. CCI has been the predominant brand locally. Hopefully as production ramps back up, they can expand distribution to compete with CCI. And whether they’re made by Olin or not, I hope they keep the Winchester name on the tins. But I’m just nostalgic that way.

Maybe the cookies were sold by weigh, not cookie count.
Check the weight on an older package to see if it contained a higher gram weight.
The manufacturer hadn’t received the new down sized packaging yet.
Pay more, get less, the rule of business.

Never seen Winchester percussion caps for sale, only Remington and CCI.
I have seen Winchester caps, RWS caps as well as Rem and CCI.

Only time will tell how this all shakes out in regards to the shortages. I do think the prices for a lot of the weapons and accessories will never go back to what they were. I bought 500 new in the packages Winchester #11 magnums at a gun show last spring.

Last edited:
Expecting a problem? What happens to all of that if something unfortunate were to happen to you? Do you have contingency plans for all of that stuff? Just curious?
people we trust already know the locations of geobegal chaches, wolves will be made an example of, got bear traps, old school good ones just for wolves sniffin around the hen house,

My sister-in-law and myself were discussing the difficulty in obtaining some merchandise and parts of any kind. She is not familiar with Winchester products (yet) but got a chuckle out of that response from them.

Everything has become stupidly expensive. I was in Wally world yesterday and they were selling an 8 ounce bottle of blackhorn substitute powder for $52.00 !! Ridiculous .....

Attachments

• blackthorn.jpg
    blackthorn.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Everything has become stupidly expensive. I was in Wally world yesterday and they were selling an 8 ounce bottle of blackthorn substitute powder for $52.00 !! Ridiculous .....
never knew they sold any BP or substitute in 8oz cans

Right next to the Blackhorn was 3 bottles of Pyrodex RS. I hadn't seen any of that in a long time. They did have some percussion caps so I picked up 4 tins.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Right next to the Blackhorn was 3 bottles of Pyrodex RS. I hadn't seen any of that in a long time. They did have some percussion caps so I picked up 4 tins.
Ohio Rusty ><>
was the Pyrodex in 2 oz containers? :ghostly:
how much was the pyrodex

Availability seems to be improving locally as retailers gear up for hunting season. Prices are down considerably from where they were at the height of the panic, but still high. I think that no matter what happens, the days of getting them for $4 or $5 a time are long gone. I have plenty put up, but I’ll probably grab a few tins soon just to put back for a rainy day.
Walmart gets them in stock every now and then. They list for $5.92 per hundred

Just saw them today. Got two tins. Also saw Pyrodex just a little over $20 a pound. Our local WalMart only had 5 tins of caps out, but plenty of 209 primers. Some of those were Winchester branded actually.

If you ask for caps at our local Walmart you get directed to the headgear department, as in baseball caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back