• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winchester response, Percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i mean those things have a tiny pressed bp disc inside , you can take that disc out using a needle or other slim tool, you can take your old used caps, clean them and add the bp discs into the freshly cleaned caps and you got remade caps right, or do i not know well enoufg how the percussion caps are made?
i am a thinker and most of the time i am in a whole other box
Musket caps might survive usage, but most #10 or #11 percussion caps fragment when ignited, and are not reuseable.

How’s this for a non answer to a simple question?

Question: Is Winchester still manufacturing # 10, 11 and #11 magnum percussion caps for BP weapons. If you are, who is stocking them? Or where can we order online?

Answer:

Like many manufacturers in the shooting sports industry, we are experiencing an extremely high demand for our products. We are working as hard as we can to produce an increased supply of quality ammunition to meet our customers’ needs. We appreciate your patience and like always, thank you for choosing Winchester.
Form letter. One size fits all.

Availability seems to be improving locally as retailers gear up for hunting season. Prices are down considerably from where they were at the height of the panic, but still high. I think that no matter what happens, the days of getting them for $4 or $5 a time are long gone. I have plenty put up, but I’ll probably grab a few tins soon just to put back for a rainy day.

When I say plenty I mean about 500 or so. My two or three tins that I buy this season isn’t going to hurt anybody. Especially locally where demand for percussion caps is pretty low compared to 209 primers. I keep enough around to keep three people (my sons and I) happy for hunting and recreational shooting, I’m not exactly hoarding.

A form letter may not be a great response, but it is better than nothing. Plenty of companies won’t even send out a canned response like that anymore. Better than being ignored completely I suppose.

There is NOT a company named Winchester! The Olin Corporation owns the rights to make ammo & brand it with the Winchester name. I assume they also make or sub-contract the making of the percussion caps. If you guys are gonna criticize & demean a company, at least get the name right. I don't see anything wrong with the form letter response at all. ...,EDITED.., Like any company, I'm sure they would love to provide a bagillion caps to everyone, but current circumstances don't appear to allow that to happen. That's not a reason to hate them. I don't think they are withholding caps from us on purpose. ....EDITED.....

There is NOT a company named Winchester! The Olin Corporation owns the rights to make ammo & brand it with the Winchester name. I assume they also make or sub-contract the making of the percussion caps. If you guys are gonna criticize & demean a company, at least get the name right. I don't see anything wrong with the form letter response at all. ...,EDITED.., Like any company, I'm sure they would love to provide a bagillion caps to everyone, but current circumstances don't appear to allow that to happen. That's not a reason to hate them. I don't think they are withholding caps from us on purpose. ....EDITED..... !
..., EDITED....I would expect a form letter to at least have the proper reply to whether the inquiry was for ammunition, componemts like primers, powder or requested CAPS. Maybe the person should learn the difference in components before sending a not applicable form letter. ...EDITIED...

The price of them is higher than most people want to spend. Pre-pandemic, #11 percussion caps were $5 or $6 per tin of 100, in most cases. Now, the best “new” price I have seen in stores ( when you see any percussion caps) is $9.99 for CCI tin of 100. $16.99 is just high.

$5 is still stupid expensive. When I started shooting BP around 30 years ago they were $10 a thousand. I understand price increases but not like now. The last caps I bought from a local gun store were $2.50 a tin for Remington #11s. I bought all they had. I have around 8,000 on hand now so am good for a long time.

Just in case I need it I just bought a FL from a seller here. A Pedersoli full stock Kentucky in 45 caliber. My favorite caliber.

Last edited by a moderator:
$5 is still stupid expensive. When I started shooting BP around 30 years ago they were $10 a thousand. I understand price increases but not like now. The last caps I bought from a local gun store were $2.50 a tin for Remington #11s. I bought all they had. I have around 8,000 on hand now so am good for a long time.

Just in case I need it I just bought a FL from a seller here. A Pedersoli full stock Kentucky in 45 caliber. My favorite caliber.
Now not to burst your prep but.......seeing a little hole in inventory on number of flints and pounds of lead, number of roundball. But that could just be an oversight in your posting. Interesting as we get older we take inventory just in case. Pretty well planned and prepped but as most of us in the city i would say we lack long term quantity of food. Those outside in rural area have that much more covered than us city folk. But then this is a thread on cost of caps......sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the cookies were sold by weigh, not cookie count.
Check the weight on an older package to see if it contained a higher gram weight.
The manufacturer hadn’t received the new down sized packaging yet.
Pay more, get less, the rule of business.

Never seen Winchester percussion caps for sale, only Remington and CCI.
In eastern NY State, Winchester Magnum Percussion Caps were the hottest we could find. Near Saratoga Springs.

There is NOT a company named Winchester! The Olin Corporation owns the rights to make ammo & brand it with the Winchester name. I assume they also make or sub-contract the making of the percussion caps. If you guys are gonna criticize & demean a company, at least get the name right. I don't see anything wrong with the form letter response at all. ...,EDITED.., Like any company, I'm sure they would love to provide a bagillion caps to everyone, but current circumstances don't appear to allow that to happen. That's not a reason to hate them. I don't think they are withholding caps from us on purpose. ....EDITED...!
I asked very simply, are you manufacturing percussion caps. If so, how to purchase? Yes or no would have been more acceptable than the neutral MBA response for all questions they chose not to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back