• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Winchester 12g

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigpete

40 Cal
Reaction score
Gday all,I've found what appears to be a 12g caplock single barrel shotgun down under,I've personally never heard of winchester making muzzleloaders at all,does anyone know anything about them?
Cheers,Pete

Is Winchester stamped on the barrel, or just the lock? I vaguely remember seeing a Winchester percussion lock on GunBroker a while back. Might have been dreaming too. Could you post some pictures? Very interesting.

Is Winchester stamped on the barrel, or just the lock? I vaguely remember seeing a Winchester percussion lock on GunBroker a while back. Might have been dreaming too. Could you post some pictures? Very interesting.
I'm just going by what the ad says. O could post a photo but you won't glean much info from it,as the only photo available is just of the lock

Here's the only photo available at this time

Attachments

• 451204-003.jpg
    451204-003.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0
All I know is that Oliver Winchester was in the business of buying existing gun manufacturers designs, and relabeling as Winchester. I suppose it’s possible that his company could have made parts for other manufacturers as well. That’s an enigma without better pictures.

All I know is that Oliver Winchester was in the business of buying existing gun manufacturers designs, and relabeling as Winchester. I suppose it’s possible that his company could have made parts for other manufacturers as well. That’s an enigma without better pictures.
Yeah it is a tad. I may have to contact the bloke and ask for some more pictures. Just not exactly monetary at the moment, especially when I possibly will be needing a wisdom tooth pulled in the next week or so 🤕🤒

Not true. The Henry rifle was designed by Oliver Winchester's employee, BT Henry, for Winchester's New Haven Repeating Arms. The 1873 was an improvement of that. Several others were designed by JM Browning for Winchester.

I have an old trade gun with no markings on it to identify maker of any sort other than the Lott lock. It is a twelve gauge, full choked barrel. Club members have identified it as a West (St. Louis) County Special from 1970. All the identifying markings were removed when the breech was removed to thread in the breech plug.

It is indeed possible that your "Winchester" muzzle loading shotgun was built from a repurposed shotgun barrel.

Back