• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Winchester 10 Ga. breech loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4198

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have decided my new 10 ga. breech loader will be an oversize version of the famous Winchester noise maker. If anyone on here has one, I would sure like to have some dimensions from it. Would like to know the diameter of the tires on the rubber tire model. From what I have been able to find on the internet, I think the steel wheels are 3" in diameter, and the barrel is 12" long. Any other dimensions would be very helpful. Thanks h4198

Musketman, the Cannon Mania sight was a lot of help. Got the barrel, breech, trunnion sleeve, and 10 ga adapter back from the machinist Saturday morning. Ordered the rest of the parts and steel today. Hopefully, this thing will look some what like a LARGE Winchester 10 ga. breech loader. Trying to post some pictures, but don't see where they go. h4198

Hey, Any chance for plans or sketches with dimensions? I've been thinking of a 10 gauge niose maker. Thanks, Wes

Wes, sorry, I don't have any plans or sketches. Mostly going by the pictures on Cannon Mania. Couldn't get my pictures to post, will try again later. h4198

One more try at posting a photo. h4198

Breech1a.jpg

Breech2a.jpg

Breech3a.jpg

Thanks Musketman, got most of the work done on the carriage today, should have some better pictures as soon as my wife gets home with the digital camera. h4198

Got the carriage and wheels assembled today. Still a long way to go begfore it is a shooter. Carriage needs sand blasting and painting. Needs a firing pin and barrel sleeve to give the barrel some taper. Will try to post some pictures to show what I have so far. See if it looks like a large Winchester to you. h4198
Breech10.jpg

Wow !!! Thats an awesome piece of work there youvedone., Yea it surely looks like a big Winchesterto me. Better really because of the size., Thank you for posting and please pot more as you go., :thumbsup:

HarborMaster, My Winchester look a like is now up to 64 lbs. Now has a barrel sleeve to give the barrel some taper. All work has stopped, for the time being. Wrote to the ATF about Winchester breech loaders in general. Received their reply yesterday. Looks like my cannon will be a removable breech, muzzel loader, at least for now. Need to find some way of preventing a loaded round from being chambered. I think blanks are 2 7/8" long. Don't know the length of loaded 10 ga. shells. Anybody have any ideas. h4198

Winchester 10 gauge blank, (black powder), shell are 2 7/8 inches. Have two boxes here for my BNA B/L Cannon. :)

Cap Ed, what is a BNA B/L? In your 10 ga. cannon, what prevents the insertion of a loaded 10 ga. shotgun shell? Thanks, h4198

BNA is the maker of my cannon “Beaufort Naval Armorers”. This firm has been custom manufacturing machined bronze and stainless steel Signal Cannons and Replica English Swivel Guns for more than 25 years![url] http://bna.bircherinc.com/[/url] the B/L is for breech loading. My cannon has a vertical sliding breech mechanism.

I have never tried nor will I ever place a 10 gauge shot shell in my cannon. The breech mechanisms on the signal/salute cannons were not designed for the force of recoil from a shot shell and you probably will damage the breech.

If you use proper diligence, this will prevent you from inserting a 10 gauge shot shell into the chamber. All of the Winchester 10 gauge 2 7/8” shells I have are marked “BLANK”.

BNA-1.jpg

BNA-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back