• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Williams 1340 Peep Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just ordered a Williams 1340 Peep Sight for my TC Hawken flintlock. This is mounted on the tang so I guess the rear sight on the barrel is removed. Are the screw holes on the barrel filled in with a flush screw? Also if any has this sight are you satisfied with it? Thank You

Some tang mounted sights will"see over" the factory sight if is lowered to its lowest setting, some can be used as a "third peep hole" to bring the rear and front sights into focus.. So I recomend you wait and see before removing your rear sight.

I did this to the tang screws on my Hawken rebuild project with a factory peep in mind, the wood screws would easily strip out.

Where did you order your peep from? It that appears most places that carry them are sold out.

bushings complete.JPG

Tang bolts not wood screws;

tang bolts.JPG

FWIW I received my sight from Williams. It fits on the rifle very nicely. If I end up lowering the elevation very low, I might have to clearance the wood slightly. The issue I had is that the paperwork is generic and said a 6-48 screw came with the sight. I drilled the required hole with a #31 and tapped it with a 6-48. Then, lo and behold, the supplied screw is larger than 6-48! Fortunately one of the rear sight screws is 6-48 and I used it instead. Yes, it is my fault for not checking the screw but thought that might help someone to know.

The sight itself is much nicer than the 5D series I always put on my leverguns. It is also much cheaper than the TC or Lyman peeps are going fir on ebay.

I've always wondered if a peep might be be period correct. My aged eyes would surely like a peep. I have one in my shopping cart online. All I gotta do is click "buy" but the historical aspect makes me hesitate. Mine is a flintlock Hawken.

I've seen peep sights on crossbows in museums. So, there is the possibility of peep sights existing in the period. There aren't any examples of peep sights being used in the historical period.

FWIW I received my sight from Williams. It fits on the rifle very nicely. If I end up lowering the elevation very low, I might have to clearance the wood slightly. The issue I had is that the paperwork is generic and said a 6-48 screw came with the sight. I drilled the required hole with a #31 and tapped it with a 6-48. Then, lo and behold, the supplied screw is larger than 6-48! Fortunately one of the rear sight screws is 6-48 and I used it instead. Yes, it is my fault for not checking the screw but thought that might help someone to know.

The sight itself is much nicer than the 5D series I always put on my leverguns. It is also much cheaper than the TC or Lyman peeps are going fir on ebay.

Don't know for sure about Williams but, TC used an 8x32 threaded screw for their factory peep sight. It screwed into the middle hole on the tang. that and the rear tang screw held the sight very secure.

Latest posts

Back