• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will This Carriage Support A Real Cannon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Doing some digging, and ran across this neat looking Lawn Cannon. Has anyone bought this, and mounted a 1/2 scale real cannon on it? Or is it just not stout enough? This thing looks pretty cool, and might make a neat project :blue: :grey:

http://www.customwagons.com/cgi-bin/cp-a...prod&ref=25

Where can I get a 1/2 scale cannon to fit this carraige?

This thing is awful cheap! It might fall to pieces like a tinker toy?

Send him an e-mail and ask. I bought their 30" cannon wheels and am very satisfied with them. That barrel looks like the half scale Napoleon from Hern Iron Works.

Send him an e-mail and ask. I bought their 30" cannon wheels and am very satisfied with them. That barrel looks like the half scale Napoleon from Hern Iron Works.

Evil,

I shot him an email, will wait and see?? Wait till the wife comes home and sees this in my office! :crackup:

High Power

Keep us informed. I like the looks of that little cannon. And it would fit in my den, well, I might not have very much room left. I'd like to see better pictures of the trail, cheek pieces and the barrel. The web site lists just the wheels at $154.95, don't know if that's a set or just one.
Everyone needs at least one cannon.

Or is it just not stout enough? This thing looks pretty cool, and might make a neat project :blue: :grey:

The axle looks to be a single, thin, steel rod/tube side to side. I don't think it would take much weight without bending. If the rest is similar construction I wouldn't get your hopes up :(

High Power

Keep us informed. I like the looks of that little cannon. And it would fit in my den, well, I might not have very much room left. I'd like to see better pictures of the trail, cheek pieces and the barrel. The web site lists just the wheels at $154.95, don't know if that's a set or just one.
Everyone needs at least one cannon.

Oh I think the barrel is wood as well! Even if it aint that heavy duty, it could be built up! I bet one could somehow put a steel pipe in that wooden cannon, and fire something!

If I buy this puppy, Mr. Tech here will give her a full photo review :)

We have a reply!

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for contacting Custom Wagons.

Just to make sure that I understand your question, you want to know if you
can take our lawn cannon, take the wood barrel off, and replace it with a
real half scale cannon barrel, have I got it right so far?

Well, it would not be the first time it has been done. However, I must
remind you that our lawn cannon is made from cedar, most of the people who
has done what you are asking to do takes the cedar off and make uses it as a
pattern and replaces it with oak.

As for the wheels, they are the same wheels that hundreds of cannon shooters
are using for their cannons all over the world. They are made to that the
beating of shooting the cannon. They are made of hickory, have the dish of
the old style cannon wheels, and are extra heavy duty.

Now for the legal stuff. We sell the lawn cannon for decoration only. We
also custom build carriages from oak that are made for real cannon shooting,
however, the price is much higher.

Should you have further questions, or if I can be of assistance, please feel
free to contact me.

Thank you again,

Jay Jones
www.customwagons.com
859-887-9432

I will find out what the oak version will cost, and post it here!

I've been bugging SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED about a cannon for about 20 years. At first, it was just a joke...it got to where she urged me to buy one of the Dixie GW pieces, but the cheapskate in me wouldn't go for it...I mostly wanted it to put alongside my flagpole...if I could figure a way to fire salutes, that'd be good. Well, this "lawn cannon" is just about everything I wanted...have a major anniversary coming up, and herself wants to buy it for me...if I get it, I'll report back to y'all...Hank

Just make sure the one she picks up has no weld seems in
the barrel. Blanks are real easy. Just double the amount
of powder used to fire a live round.
Ex: I read my barrel (1.75in. bore) should fire 500gr. max with a steel ball,
1000gr. wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil or even easier,
800gr. loose behind two pages of newspaper crumpled up.
BIG BANG!
Like thunder. :shocking:

Make yourself a linstock to fire it or you'll have to
have your wife colour in your eyebrows for a couple weeks.
:peace:

cannonball, thanks, but this is the wooden "dummy" cannon..no salutes can, or will, be fired..Hank

Latest posts

Back