• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will the Davis deer slayer fit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since no one here appears to have any experience with it, I'd send Davis an email. In the past they've been real quick to respond when I sent them compatibility questions.

The one thing you need to be sure of, is that your lock has a fly. If you don't the set trigger won't trip the sear enough to fire it.

I don't know if you are familiar with the 'fly' that's needed in the lock for double set triggers to work but basically it is a very small little thing that is located at the half cock notch.

One of it's jobs is to get out of the way of the sears nose when the hammer is being raised from the fired position and to allow the sears nose to enter the half cock notch.

When the hammer is raised above the half cock position the sears nose rides up over the 'fly' and engages the full cock notch.

When the set trigger knocks the sear out of the full cock notch the tumbler and hammer begin to rotate towards the fired position but the set trigger is no longer holding the sear away from the side of the tumbler. That means the nose of the sear will try to enter the half cock notch when it gets to it.

Now, comes the important part of the flys job.
It covers up part of the half cock notch so when the sear gets to it it hits the fly.
The fly deflects the nose of the sear over the half cock notch which allows the hammer to continue to fall to the fired position.

To check your lock to see if it has a 'fly' first make sure the gun is unloaded. Then, raise the hammer to the full cock position.

Put your thumb on the hammer to keep it from falling and pull the trigger just enough to release it from the full cock position.

Now, while holding the hammer just below the full cock position, release the trigger.

Allow the hammer to lower at a medium speed.
If the hammer stops at the half cock position, your lock does NOT have a fly in it.

If the hammer continues to fall to the fired position (sometimes with a slight hesitation as the sear jumps over the half cock notch) your lock has a 'fly' and a will work with a set trigger.

Back