• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Will olive oil ruin your powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will olive oil ruin your powder if used as a lube for hunting situations? Was would be either tow or felt: -
Larry
Never has for me but then I usually put a thin card down first but to be honest I very rarely have an olive oil soaked wad under a shot load. If anything a heavy soaked wad will be on top of the shot if anything.
In my shotguns any lube between powder and shot is a mixture of oil and fat to form a grease.

If the patch is damp/wet it could..., that's why I always use a pinch of wasp nest in my hunting load.

I have found very little difference in the way the gun shoots with or without the nest.
I've never had to pull a ball due too wet powder however. But I feel its better Safe than Sorry when that buck walks out.
If any difference in shooting, it might be the ball strikes a fuzz higher with the nest, but not enough to matter at hunting distances.

I only use a drop or two on a stack of pre cut patches which soaks into the patch and its almost dry before loading. But I still use the nest as a buffer.

I've never had a problem with powder contamination - but I've never used olive oil - with liquid lubes. I like my patches wet but not sloppy wet or drippy.

I used to put a squeeze, 1cc?, of waterless hand cleaner on the powder in a 12 ga while dove hunting. It always shot just fine. Did not have to clean all day.

Any oil or water will dampen powder if in direct contact. Which is why I use an over powder leather wad to protect my powder from lubes on both mini's and lubed round ball patches.Dutch Shultz's "dry patch" system is simply a way to prevent "over lubing" your patches. Any lube will give problems if you use to much! Dutch has helped many realize the need to not use to much lube. We owe a lot to Dutch for all of the advice he has shared.

Back