• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will a flintlock spark in very cold weather?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenjoytj

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experience shooting a flintlock firearm in very cold -15 to -25 degrees C weather?

I'm not sure a hot spark would be produced (cold frizzen) or retain enough heat energy to ignite the cold priming powder.

yes and yes

Those little torn off pieces of hardened steel don't care how cold it is, they are still hot from the action of being torn off from the frizzen.

Depending, on what you use to lubricate the internal working parts of the lock, and the frizzen screw.... while the frizzen will spark and the powder will light, if the lube gets very thick or freezes as some traditional lubes and modern oils will when it gets too cold....the cock may not move fast enough nor the frizzen properly swivel, thus the lock may not function.

LD

I've not shot my rifle in weather that cold but I have shot it when it was near or just a bit below zero and it still went bang. Much colder and I would not have been out in it. :wink:

Billnpatti said:
I've not shot my rifle in weather that cold but I have shot it when it was near or just a bit below zero and it still went bang. Much colder and I would not have been out in it. :wink:

-20 C is -4 F. I've shot (a little) at those temperatures and a flinter goes off just fine. However, at those temperatures I've observed that the shiver factor is more significant than the flinch factor.

I shot a doe with flintlock last Dec. in -36f. Not sure what that works out to on one of those C thermometers, but it was cold.
The gun fired perfectly.

In weather that cold it won't work worth a darn. My only suggestion would be to wrap up your rifle and send it to me.

It's never cold enough in my part of Arizona to affect ignition, and I'll be able to shoot it all winter for you :thumbsup:

That was our coldest morning of BP season last year. After 3 hours of sitting there wondering if I was :youcrazy: I was glad to have my hands inside a warm deer!

There are a number of things I hope to never find out. Among them are;

1. Does it hurt to pull your own tooth?
2. Does a snakebite hurt as much as is claimed?
3. Will my flintlock fire at -15 degrees?

I shoot year around never had an issue except my finger go numb

Back In the 80`s, first Day of the Pa. late Deer Season, It was -17 Degrees. Spined A Doe and had to reload to finish Her off. The old L&R lock worked just fine.....

That one I can answer, NCHawkeye. Not at first, either time. Give it five to ten seconds, then you don't know much else.

Yes, works fine,
I feel left out if it is not a blizzard when I deer hunt.

I remember one year when I didn’t show up after a hunt my friends decided that if I didn’t show up on my own that they would wait till spring thaw to look for me. :shocked2:

William Alexander

As previously stated the flintlock will spark well, unless it has a heavy oil that thickens and "slows down" the action. This slowing down doesn't just apply to flintlocks. I had a friend back in the sixties who had just heavily oiled his "modern " shotgun and it would not fire when we were rabbit hunting in 10 degree below weather.The oil had thickened to the point where it "cushioned" the firing pin. :idunno:

Back