• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will a claw hammer work as a makeshift "wedge puller?"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being as I came back to muzzle loaders since I can't shoot my longnow anymore I kind of am out of the gadget thing. A wedge pin puller is just one more thing to carry and misplace. My answer is I use what is handy. Mostly a piece of wood whether whittled or a craft stick(popcycle stick). even out on the prairie I can find a splinter from a fence post if need be. Now I WOULD BE **** out of luck if I misplaced my knife!!!!

Ah, inside joke. I actually duct taped a side mirror on my car. Hard to come by and it worked until summer when the weather warmed. Then I glued it with a Bu## load of hot glue and it held for years.

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid. :cool:

I used the popsicle stick idea today and it shoved right out. I use a wood block and hammer to push it 1/4 inch over and then used the stick. I pushed it back in with my thumb. Thanks for the help guys.

I went on and put in a new hex wrench type of vent bushing from TC. Once my balls come in, out to shoot it!

I'm sure that there is a modern-day engineering solution to this little problem, using some computer-numerically-controlled micro-hydraulics, a conceptual visualising 'tool' using augmented virtual reality, and strain gauge sensors. Of course, there would be the need for custom-made jigs suitable for use in a controlled environment - maybe even in a vacuum at a remote site for environmental safety and 'saving the Earth'.

Me, I use the rounded end of a cheap plastic screwdriver.

Takes about two seconds, last time we measured it using our wrist-worn chronographic devices.

"If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid. :cool:"

Some how Forrest Gump comes to mind, stupid is as stupid does.

Follow up post, "How do I repair the scratches in my stock from a claw hammer".

I have used my GI issue lineman's knife as well. That is the single most useful pocket knife I have ever carried.

"Get er' done?"

I once dated a girl that hated that comedian. Once I discovered that tid bit, I'd say to her "bring the project to completion." We lasted about a month after that.

I would have padded around the claw hammer.....I may be stupid but I ain't dumb! LOL

1598284045240.jpeg
:D
You forgot to mention one of the most important features of this Cresent-Bridgeport wedge puller. It will extend from the 17” as you show it out to 23” for that extra leverage to pull even the tightest wedges without the need to add a cheater bar. And as an added bonus, it will pull just about any nail as long as the jaws can get around the nail head. On the downside, I find it a bit heavy to carry in the field.
1598283709318.jpeg

Last edited:
"It will extend from the 17” as you show it out to 23” for that extra leverage to pull even the tightest wedges without the need to add a cheater bar."

Using a 23" bar seems like a real good way to dent the wood on the stock and possibly canting one of the escushions pulling the wedge out. Seems tapping a wedge out that tight would make more sense, at least to me..

You forgot to mention one of the most important features of this Cresent-Bridgeport wedge puller. It will extend from the 17” as you show it out to 23” for that extra leverage to pull even the tightest wedges without the need to add a cheater bar. And as an added bonus, it will pull just about any nail as long as the jaws can get around the nail head. On the downside, I find it a bit heavy to carry in the field. View attachment 40799

I'm guessing your hunting pouch isn't big enough. Possibly you could carry it in something like a Native American quiver. Then there is the chance there would have been only one which was carried by the company armorer. What attracted me was that the styling goes back to the very origins of the devise, could we consider it HC? :D

Back