• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wild pig ham

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Einsiedler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Tried my hand on a sorta traditional goulash this week with a big hunk of the ham I took off small pig I shot new years eve.

I took top off one of the hams. Boned it, cubed it into 1” pieces and threw it in about 1/2” of hot lard in the dutch oven. Let it sauté a bit. Then threw in two chopped onions and a good dollop of minced garlic. Let them cook down.

Then I mixed about a teaspoon of Caraway seed, 1/4 cup of Szeged sweet paprika, two bay leaves, teaspoon salt and black pepper. Mixed it. Then added a red bell pepper and a yellow bell pepper diced. And two diced small potatoes.

Added a little water and a tablespoon of white vinegar ( found the red wine vinegar later darn it). And let it all simmer for several hours. I added a little more paprika, salt, and pepper as it cooked, to taste. Also added about 1/2 cup red wine an hour before eating.

Filled the kitchen with a great aroma! Even better as leftovers!!! I see a new hunting camp staple dish in the future!

Before I get too old I'd like to see just what a 50 cal. would do to a wild hog. It just might be too much gun for a small one. But if a 50 can bring down a buffalo it should stop a armor plated hog.

@Einsiedler That sure sounds yummy. Does this mean lunch is at your place? Did you make some corn bread or such to go with it? And I've never heard of putting that touch of vinegar in it. But I like vinegar.

Greetings Angie!

Sorry not much left. But I can see another batch on horizon. No cornbread, but I picked up a baguette while in town for caraway seeds. Acid in a smidgen of vinegar does help break the meat down a bit. Helps flavor too!

Will head to deep south Texas next week. If I am lucky and my aim is true, perhaps I can score another small pig!!! (New year’s eve pig just about all gone!). Report to follow on hunt doings in appropriate thread. Weather forcast looks dicey. Will also throw my percussion Jäger in the truck. Just in case! .

Yeah, like you said "dicey". I was gonna see if I could make my ASM go bang this afternoon but it looks like it may drizzle. Plus I got things to do in town so maybe tomorrow. Eating is one of those things, , your post made me hungry.

Before I get too old I'd like to see just what a 50 cal. would do to a wild hog. It just might be too much gun for a small one. But if a 50 can bring down a buffalo it should stop a armor plated hog.

In the 80's had a great place to hunt hogs. Use a CVA 50 cal. 60grs 3F behind .490 patch PRB. Had no problem killing them with one shot from 50 lbs to 200 lbs.

I to would like to see what the smoke pole will do to the hog also down in Texas on the Javilena. My spelling is off a bit but you folks know what I'm talking about. They look like a small pig but they belong to a different critter.

I just can’t shoot a javelina. Had family members that would occasionally have em running around the place for a pet. Sure don’t recommend it. But they did have em. Be like shooting the family pup to me. Walked up on the biggest javelina boar I have ever seen about a year ago on the s Texas place. Him and his ladyfriend. Just left em alone.

And remember they don’t call em musk hogs without a reason!
;)

That last part is very true, you can sometimes smell them before you see even 'um. And I can surely think of better pets.

I just can’t shoot a javelina. Had family members that would occasionally have em running around the place for a pet. Sure don’t recommend it. But they did have em. Be like shooting the family pup to me. Walked up on the biggest javelina boar I have ever seen about a year ago on the s Texas place. Him and his ladyfriend. Just left em alone.

And remember they don’t call em musk hogs without a reason!
;)
I don't watch that much TV but there's a hunting show called the meat eater. Showed him hunting and eating one. Don't know if there good to eat or not and you can't go by that guy on that show either. He killed a coyote and eat it. Must have been real hungry.

I don't watch that much TV but there's a hunting show called the meat eater. Showed him hunting and eating one. Don't know if there good to eat or not and you can't go by that guy on that show either. He killed a coyote and eat it. Must have been real hungry.

My Grandfather used to say "if you get hungry enough you will eat the ass of a skunk. So far I have not been that hungry.

Back