Wide brim hat

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I didn't use any glue. I just stitched a hem with a string in it, then stitched the other side to the start of the bowl then pushed it all inside. Hard to explain with words, here is a pic of the results. I didn't follow instructions well and forgot to add the extra inch to the length so I had to sort of patch it in. Works fine
Would you say one could order a hat slightly larger than needed and be able to make up for it with the drawstring liner?
I normally wear a bandana under my hunting hat for various reasons. The finished hat I have been considering is on the pricey side for my budget, if I can adjust for it being too large with the drawstring liner, I'd prefer to err on the side of too large.

Ricochet

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My hat fit well without the liner as far as circumference. With the liner, it pretty much fit the same or just a tad bit tighter. Where the liner helped is that it gives it a, more or less, positive stop to how much you pull it down onto your head. This, accompanied with the softer feel of the cloth, makes for a more comfortable fit. When you cinch it up all the way, it really don't make the circumference smaller, it just blocks your head from going as high inside the hat making it ride up on your head. I don't know if I would order a hat a size too big and expect the liner to take it up. I hope this makes sense

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
My hat fit well without the liner as far as circumference. With the liner, it pretty much fit the same or just a tad bit tighter. Where the liner helped is that it gives it a, more or less, positive stop to how much you pull it down onto your head. This, accompanied with the softer feel of the cloth, makes for a more comfortable fit. When you cinch it up all the way, it really don't make the circumference smaller, it just blocks your head from going as high inside the hat making it ride up on your head. I don't know if I would order a hat a size too big and expect the liner to take it up. I hope this makes sense
Makes sense. Thank you.

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes, Ricochet, the string is to adjust how deep the hat drops on your head. You get a little bit of space around the crown of your head so it gets a little more air and more comfort. I really should put liners in my other hats. I normally wear either the cocked hat for unit wear or the grenadier's miter which also has a liner.

Obviously you still get a lot of sweat soaked up in the liner.

The glue is any of the fabric glues sold at the fabric shops. The glue holds the liner long enough to hold the liner in place until you get it sewn in place.

just4fun63

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Get a hat jack. Wear it all day till it’s moist and put the hat jack in, tighten just a bit and let dry. Alternatively use steam but you can easy over wet with steam.

1911tex

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If it is a top quality hat or family heirloom, take it to your local hatter and have it done professionally. Otherwise, experiment yourself.

Reaction score
Hat jacks are great. I bought one a few months back for an Akubra that I let sit on the dash far too long, but I got it back to the right size by the next day.

Ben Meyer

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am assembling a period correct ensemble and need a hat. Over the past 2 weeks, I've been to the big NMLRA Fall shoot in Friendship, IN and Kohkohmah in Russiaville, IN. Both had plenty of vendors, suttlers and trade blankets. Many had those felt hat blanks, I considered buying one but didnt.

Who makes FINISHED, ready to wear period correct hats that have all the trimmings and dont need "work done?" I dont want a tricorn. Anyone have some links?

David Veale

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am assembling a period correct ensemble and need a hat. Over the past 2 weeks, I've been to the big NMLRA Fall shoot in Friendship, IN and Kohkohmah in Russiaville, IN. Both had plenty of vendors, suttlers and trade blankets. Many had those felt hat blanks, I considered buying one but didnt.

Who makes FINISHED, ready to wear period correct hats that have all the trimmings and dont need "work done?" I dont want a tricorn. Anyone have some links?
Try Clearwater hats - which are fully finished - or Hats by Grizz on Etsy. Clearwater didn't make one big enough for my noggin, but Grizz does. His hats are finished on the inside, but do not have anything on the outside.

Ben Meyer

40 Cal
Reaction score
I looked at the Clearwater one, apparently wont fit my head either. And the Grizz hats, while awesome, are too spendy for me right now.

So, are there any online instructions, etc on how to take a $40 hat blank and make it nice? Hat band, sweat band, one side pinned up, not so stiff?

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I looked at the Clearwater one, apparently wont fit my head either. And the Grizz hats, while awesome, are too spendy for me right now.

So, are there any online instructions, etc on how to take a $40 hat blank and make it nice? Hat band, sweat band, one side pinned up, not so stiff?
There are a couple topics on here that tackle the subject of finishing a hat blank. I wish someone would find or create a good YouTube video walking through the process.

Kestrel

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Had Griz make my hat. Big noggin and it fits perfectly. Worth the $ and the wait.

Ben Meyer

40 Cal
Reaction score
One of these days, I may spring for a "real" longhunter type riflemans hat. In the meantime, I cheaped out and did this. Was in Tractor Supply Store today, bought a green wool felt medium brimmed fedora type hat for $30, tore the cheapo hat band off it(was hot glued) steamed and shaped the pinch out of it so it's a round too now, folded the left side up and stitched it and stuck a turkey feather in it. Itll work for now!

Reaction score
Not meaning to highjack the thread, but how did people keep their hats from blowing off in the wind back in those days? I can't find much info about what we have become accustomed to calling a "stampede string" - for keeping the hat in place in windy conditions. I can't imagine Colonials, etc. spent all their time chasing their hats!

shane a gress

40 Cal
Reaction score
Not meaning to highjack the thread, but how did people keep their hats from blowing off in the wind back in those days? I can't find much info about what we have become accustomed to calling a "stampede string" - for keeping the hat in place in windy conditions. I can't imagine Colonials, etc. spent all their time chasing their hats!
Get the correct size and screw it on tight.;)