• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why only one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our muzzleloader hunting regulations specify:
A person hunting deer in a muzzleloader deer season shall not possess any firearms other than one single-barreled muzzleloading firearm, and shall not possess or substitute any archery equipment or crossbow while hunting deer under a muzzleloader deer hunting license.
Ok, so I guess my question is .........why are we not able to carry a ML long gun and one ML single shot pistol??? I'm sure historically (I'm guessing) that hunters would have been carrying at least that if not a couple of pistols. And would it not make sense to have a quick follow up shot so an animal wouldn't have to suffer while your reloading ,IF it wasn't a clean shot?? What am I missing, or am I just out of my mind?!?!?!
It is usually faster to reload the long gun for the finishing shot than it is mess around with a pistol to do it.
Most of the people I know would be shaking so much from the adrenaline rush that they would muff the pistol shot and cause more suffering by breaking the jaw or hitting the head in some place that was not fatal, causing even more of a delay while the hunter reloads his pistol yet again.

Most hunters in the old days would not have carried a pistol because of cost, and it being yet another quirky mechanical device to have to tend to and maintain.

I get the reason for one firearm in muzzleloader season. Its purpose is to give hunters an extra season without over hunting. Like archery, there needs to be some skill in getting closer. As for pistols, I wouldn’t think the range or muzzle velocities would be an effective kill weapon. But my real problem with primitive weapon season are the high tech rifles that meet regulations but defeat the purpose. Having a rifle that reaches upwards of 300 yards, with a scope. Not so primitive in my mind.

I get the reason for one firearm in muzzleloader season. Its purpose is to give hunters an extra season without over hunting. Like archery, there needs to be some skill in getting closer. As for pistols, I wouldn’t think the range or muzzle velocities would be an effective kill weapon. But my real problem with primitive weapon season are the high tech rifles that meet regulations but defeat the purpose. Having a rifle that reaches upwards of 300 yards, with a scope. Not so primitive in my mind.
You got that right sir. I lived in VA when the primitive seasoned open. No such then as BP pellets. No scopes allowed. Flintlocks or caplocks only and the locks had to be on the side of the rifle. No in lines whatsoever. How different it is now. Nothing "primitive" about it at all. The stainless steel rifles look exactly like a modern cartridge gun. With the extended range now, and a scope, I don't see much reason for that early season.
Not unlike a compound bow and crossbow in archery season. Carbon arrows, electronic sights, string release devices, etc. Poor deer.
No challenge now, very low learning curve in modern "primitive" modern stuff. Way to easy to take a deer.

You got that right sir. I lived in VA when the primitive seasoned open. No such then as BP pellets. No scopes allowed. Flintlocks or caplocks only and the locks had to be on the side of the rifle. No in lines whatsoever. How different it is now. Nothing "primitive" about it at all. The stainless steel rifles look exactly like a modern cartridge gun. With the extended range now, and a scope, I don't see much reason for that early season.
Not unlike a compound bow and crossbow in archery season. Carbon arrows, electronic sights, string release devices, etc. Poor deer.
No challenge now, very low learning curve in modern "primitive" modern stuff. Way to easy to take a deer.
I agree with your first sentiment, but shooting a compound bow isn’t all cupcakes and rainbows.

I like what Colorado did only allowing iron sights. I know there are more states like that. Honestly, muzzloading helps me draw tags easier, especially in ‘iron sight’ or ‘primitive’ states

I will have to recheck the regs., but I think you can carry a modern pistol for protection in Arkansas during the muzzleloading season.
That's the case in Bama. You have to use the ML for hunting. But it says in the regs that this does not prevent t a hunter legally carrying a pistol for self defense while hunting.

The next thing you know some low lifes will be hunting with some kind of scoped bolt action rifle using smokeless powder and a jacketed bullet that technically can be called a muzzle loader just to take advantage of the muzzleloader season that is meant for folks who like to hunt like their ancestors did. That idea really sucks.
Here in Virginia your muzzleloader doesn’t even have to load from the muzzle anymore. It’s ridiculous.
Jay

The next thing you know some low lifes will be hunting with some kind of scoped bolt action rifle using smokeless powder and a jacketed bullet that technically can be called a muzzle loader just to take advantage of the muzzleloader season that is meant for folks who like to hunt like their ancestors did. That idea really sucks.
I actually have 2 of these that you speak of. And I'm 100% with you! Mine only burn BP, but they only make it to the range until regular rifle season. Even then, they are usually only used for longer range shots at my brother's. That's just a preference for me. But yes, ML season should only be for primitive!

No challenge now, very low learning curve in modern "primitive" modern stuff. Way too easy to take a deer.
I grew up reading about Fred Bear and wanting to emulate him, on a smaller scale of course. But I get the compound bow. Still have to aim, still have hold steady. I owned one for years and 40 yards is plenty challenging and primitive enough for me. Crossbows now, that’s a different animal. Only place I see it is for older, and I mean old, bow hunters who can’t draw anymore. Like my cousin who switched. 70 something and hunted archery for thirty minutes Luis years. He gets to. But the heart of primitive season wasn’t to sell lots more tags, or sell lots of fancy new equipment. It was for outdoorsmen, real outdoorsmen to have a time when the woods weren’t full of yahoos (rant coming but you know who I mean and if you don’t and you’re offended, you might be who I mean) with their Cabelas catalog wardrobe still fresh from the box, this years top rated rifle and newest hottest round etc. My dad called them Sears and Roebuck hunters. Nothing wrong with having good gear, even the best gear, but for some people it isn’t the woods that matter. It’s the 4x4 Polaris to drive 400 yards to your stand so you can impress your buddies. I’m old enough now to be talking about back when but I do remember asking farmers for permission to hunt and getting it. That was before people took advantage, left trash, and left gates open pissing off a great resource. Or worse, someone paying big money to lease so that he could charge huge money to hunt. Elk hunts for $25000 and up. Tags going to guides and not people. Goose and duck hunts $500 a gun and up. Hunting has changed and I miss the chance to just get in the woods with a primitive firearm, my skill and experience against a very wary and alert opponent. I’m still new here and hope I didn’t go too far but this rant has been building. Thanks for your ear.

It’s a shame how it’s changed. It’s not hunting and stalking as much as it’s just killing.

I grew up reading about Fred Bear and wanting to emulate him, on a smaller scale of course. But I get the compound bow. Still have to aim, still have hold steady. I owned one for years and 40 yards is plenty challenging and primitive enough for me. Crossbows now, that’s a different animal. Only place I see it is for older, and I mean old, bow hunters who can’t draw anymore. Like my cousin who switched. 70 something and hunted archery for thirty minutes Luis years. He gets to. But the heart of primitive season wasn’t to sell lots more tags, or sell lots of fancy new equipment. It was for outdoorsmen, real outdoorsmen to have a time when the woods weren’t full of yahoos (rant coming but you know who I mean and if you don’t and you’re offended, you might be who I mean) with their Cabelas catalog wardrobe still fresh from the box, this years top rated rifle and newest hottest round etc. My dad called them Sears and Roebuck hunters. Nothing wrong with having good gear, even the best gear, but for some people it isn’t the woods that matter. It’s the 4x4 Polaris to drive 400 yards to your stand so you can impress your buddies. I’m old enough now to be talking about back when but I do remember asking farmers for permission to hunt and getting it. That was before people took advantage, left trash, and left gates open pissing off a great resource. Or worse, someone paying big money to lease so that he could charge huge money to hunt. Elk hunts for $25000 and up. Tags going to guides and not people. Goose and duck hunts $500 a gun and up. Hunting has changed and I miss the chance to just get in the woods with a primitive firearm, my skill and experience against a very wary and alert opponent. I’m still new here and hope I didn’t go too far but this rant has been building. Thanks for your ear.
I have a crossbow, but I agree with you. They should only be used by those not capable of drawing a bow. My wife, daughter, and son have a form of Muscular Dystrophy which prevents them from shooting a bow. One of which can no longer shoot a long gun. My crossbow is used only by them on our property, as it should be.

Due to a shoulder injury I'm no longer able to use a bow. But as long as I can still burn I powder I'll leave the crossbow to those that have limited options!

The problem is they allow something to open it up to those who can't, then every yahoo out there has to go get the latest and greatest just so they can show their buddies how much they spent to kill a deer.

Like he said, the Sear n Roebuck hunters!

Is there something wrong with an underhammer ?

Are you a fellow underhammer fan????
Yes I am , although I do not have one as yet. A few years ago I bought a collection of Billingsworth parts a stock by dave in oklahoma and the action parts, no barrel, however I have decided not to try to build this rifle as I do not feel I have enough experience to do so.
I believe I will purchase a Hopkins and Allen

Latest posts

Back