• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Why only one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to apply common sense & reason to most game regulations is an act of futility, IMHO. The type cartridge one can use here in Iowa for deer is insane & makes us look ridiculous. People running our DNR are so ignorant about firearms there is no use even to try to communicate in a rational manner.

Missouri's "primitive weapons" deer season has morphed into "braced AR pistols to spears" deer season. Be careful what you wish for. Opening a law for legislative action can end up in a far worse place than you wanted. Next year, we may have blowguns with poison darts. We can only tell stories about the "good old days" when single-shot muzzle loading hunters had the deer woods to ourselves. Those were the happy times.

Trying to apply common sense & reason to most game regulations is an act of futility, IMHO. The type cartridge one can use here in Iowa for deer is insane & makes us look ridiculous. People running our DNR are so ignorant about firearms there is no use even to try to communicate in a rational manner.
Common sense and government should never be used in the same sentence.

I guess I’m just a person who doesn’t like limitations put on him🤷🏻‍♂️. I just feel comfortable with one of each 😆
You carrying one of each allows the next guy to say why only two and carry a rifle a pistol and a backup derringer into the woods.

It would never end.

That's why one at a time is in place.

This is not just for muzzleloaders. Lots of places only allow one hunting implement at a time. Be it a breech fed Unmen or an Unmen with strings.

What sheriff john@ said about Missouri is right but that wasn't always the case. It was only for muzzleloaders and cap and ball revolvers.
The rules never included only one firearm though, at that time I carried a Hatfield .54 mountain rifle and a Lyman plans pistol in the same caliber. Only once did the pistol come in handy. I had a 6-point buck and a doe walk in on me, the buck went down on the spot from the rifle and the doe ran about ten yards and stopped I shot her with the pistol, and she went about 30 yards and fell over.

Not all hunters are ethical; there are many that are the so-called "slob" hunters, and the game commissions know that. You simply must draw the line somewhere to give the animals a fighting chance, is all I'm sayin'. You let one guy have a sidearm, and next thing you know, there'd be guys with braces of pistols; not the types on this site, but the aforementioned types. If you're hunting with a muzzleloader, hunt with a muzzleloader. 'Nuf said.

The next thing you know some low lifes will be hunting with some kind of scoped bolt action rifle using smokeless powder and a jacketed bullet that technically can be called a muzzle loader just to take advantage of the muzzleloader season that is meant for folks who like to hunt like their ancestors did. That idea really sucks.

The next thing you know some low lifes will be hunting with some kind of scoped bolt action rifle using smokeless powder and a jacketed bullet that technically can be called a muzzle loader just to take advantage of the muzzleloader season that is meant for folks who like to hunt like their ancestors did. That idea really sucks.
Sounds harsh to me ,lower your voice the boys at the (other) site might hear you calling a legal method not up to your standards ! HA/Ed

OMG!!! Slob hunters....low life hunters that hunt with an inline.....where will it all end??!! I carry a side arm for protection.

Venture to the sister site and have a peruse. I'm not ridiculing it as I visit there too but where this forum focuses on the tradition of a muzzleloader being just that, a gun loaded from the muzzle and often a flinter or prb shooter. On the sister forum it has some of the guys that look at laws and poke at potential loop holes, maybe I can use a sabot, or an inline, or a breechloading muzzleloader, or a smokeless or this gun is an inline but has a couple of holes near the breech plug so it can circumvent these laws etc.

I sold my inline as I lost interest in it but I still have a fast twist caplock that can shoot sabots. But my personal view is if a muzzleloader season was created in the spirit of preserving tradition and handicapping one to the technology of times gone by then clearly an inline, smokeless, sabot shooting gun with a scope isn't what they had in mind. Some guys just want an extra season as long as it's easy. I don't think I'm special for it but I've mentioned before we have a 12 month deer season with no weapon restrictions. So I'm competing against guys using long range magnum setups and thermal scopes while I plod along with a flinter, a pouch and horn and a few roundballs. I love it and no special season or law is needed for me to stick to one gun. It's also part of the reason I really want to get to the states to hunt a muzzleloader season and be around like minded people.

To answer your question, if you can't hit it with a rifle do you think having a pistol is going to help? At that point it's probably flagging you as it's running out of rifle range anyhow.

I believe in Mississippi as long as you’re not toting a belt fed machine gun with you they’re ok with it. But then again we had a “velvet season starting in September and it’s been pretty much going since then. Won’t end till middle of this month.

I will have to recheck the regs., but I think you can carry a modern pistol for protection in Arkansas during the muzzleloading season.
Same in Alabama for both bow as well as muzzleloader seasons.

In PA you can carry a BP pistol also. At one time I thought it was an OK idea. Now I think it's a lot of unneeded bulk and weight. Reloading doesn't take that long.

As long as it allows to have a spare in camp or vehicle Incase the one you are hunting with fails or gets damaged.
Bad for any one with a swivel breach or sxs. Wouldn't want to carry 2 rifles anyways.

When our muzzleloader season started it was 5 days during midweek, bucks only and a legal buck had to have a 6” antler. We’ve come a long way since then.
Our muzzleloader season was created in the legislature and a lot of things were done at the last minute to try and kill it, that’s where the 6” antler thing came from. It was initially very restrictive because there was a lot of opposition. Many things have since been changed.
You can petition the F&W Board to change the one gun thing although my gut feeling is that they won’t do it.
I think the reason for any limitations/restrictions is compromise. One group wants everything and the opposition wants nothing passed. They fight it out in litigation, and we have to deal with what comes out. It doesn't always make sense.

That’s what’s happening inArkansas now.

I suspect the regulation was originally written to prevent a less than ethical nimrod from abusing the muzzleloading season. Muzzleloading seasons were originally in addition to, and frequently earlier, than regular firearm season. The language would prohibit hunting with a modern unmentionable during such season while carrying a muzzleloader to show the game warden.

Back